An Open Letter To Mom And Dad From Their College Freshman

Thank you for all that you do.

23
Author's Photo

Dear Mom and Dad

Wow, has time flown by and my first year of college is already coming to an end. College is amazing and I have yet to thank you for all you do for me.

Leaving home was scary, and when you left on August 23, I was terrified to be living out of state and not being able to run in and say goodnight to you before bed.

I wouldn't have been able to handle freshman year without you. So here is my thank you letter to you both for the countless things you have done, and continue to do for me every day.

1. Thank you for supporting me during this transition to college. Although many college kids say “they don’t need their parents” I know I sure do.

2. Thank you for pushing me and telling me “I can do anything I set my mind to”.

3. Thank you for motivating me when I felt neck deep in school work.

4. Thank you for the endless “Good luck” texts and the simple “I love you” messages that get me through the day.

5. Thank you for raising me to be independent.

6. Thank you for letting me make my own mistakes.

7. Thank you for footing the daunting college tuition bill so I can achieve my dream.

8. Thank you for molding me into the person I am today.

9. Thank you for never giving up on me.

10. Thank you for letting me choose my own path in life.

11. Thank you for always having a smile on your face and seeming excited each night (or every night first semester) when I FaceTime you.

12. Thank you for being the best role models.

13. Thank you for showing me how to love.

14. Thank you for showing me that being myself is the best person I can be.

15. Thank you for telling me to never give up on my dreams.

16. Thank you for believing in me.

17. Thank you for the daily phone calls.

18. Thank you for doing my laundry when I come home.

19. Thank you for never letting me settle.

20. Thank you for all you do.

College is scary and definitely not a walk in the park. Mom and Dad, you have given me the tools necessary to start my own path in life and be who I truly am. College has taught me many things, especially how you guys will always be my rock and support when the going gets tough.
I know you will always pick up the phone or FaceTime call no matter the time of day, just so you know I am okay.

So thank you, thank you for letting me go off to college and start my life. Thank you for raising me the past nineteen years. College is great, and I am having so much fun. I have made some of my lifelong friends and bridesmaids here. Without your love, I would not be where I am today. Thank you for having high expectations for me and holding my hand along the long, uphill battle it was before seeing me start my new adventure at school. I love it here and I could not imagine calling any place else my home.