Mis Abuelos Live In Every One Of My Childhood Memories And I'm Forever Grateful For That

Thank you, for everything.

934
Angela McLaughlin

Dear Grandma Mary & Grandpa Raul,

Every childhood memory I have involves the two of you, and for that alone, I am forever grateful.

My friends will ask me how often I call you guys, and when I tell them mostly every day, they're blown away by how 'amazing' that is. And I realize that it is just that; amazing.

It's amazing that I am so close to you two. It is amazing that I feel the three of us are best friends. It is amazing that I've gotten to spend every day of my life getting to know you, loving you, and thanking you.

But I really don't thank you guys enough. From grand gestures like throwing me a graduation party featuring a Mariachi Band to attending every single one of my shows even though I know how boring and repetitive they are- remember when Grandpa attempted to dance one of The Nutcracker dances because he'd seen it so many times?-to seemingly small gestures like sending me thoughtful gifts in the mail and making me breakfast every morning throughout high school, you guys have been my everything and I'm eternally grateful.

Thank you for supporting me, loving me, and being my friend. Thank you for giving me a strong support system, a constant feeling of 'home', and for encouraging me. Thank you for standing by my side even though I'm now living 2000 miles away from you.

I've said it a million times, but although I've dreamed of living in New York City since I was ten years old and I'm incredibly at peace here, I still feel a sunken feeling in my heart whenever I think about being so far from you. There isn't a day where I wish I got to wake up to the smell of coffee and breakfast tacos and have my little morning conversations with Grandpa. There isn't a day where I don't miss having dinner every night at your house, as hectic as it sometimes can be. There isn't a day where I don't wish I could just be in the car with Grandma for hours listening to her stories. But I am lucky that even though I am far away, I still feel close to you two and supported in the sacrifice that I've chosen.

I never want you to think that there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about you and love you because I do, ask any of my friends. Every story I share about childhood involves the two of you because you were the biggest influences in my life, and that's something I'll never forget. I never want you to think that I'm drifting away and that we'll never be as close as we once were because I think that would hurt me more than it would hurt you. I never want you to think that just because I'm a New Yorker now that I've forgotten my Texan roots.

Although I am changing and growing into my own adult version of myself, someone with knew opinions that may not always be agreed upon, I'll always be the little girl you knew who loves you two more than anything.

Thank you for giving me the best chance I had at a thriving and successful life. I couldn't have gotten to where I am without you.

With all the love,

Ava (the family genius)