An Open Letter: 29 Thank You's to My Mentor

To the one who impacted my life tremendously: thank you.

35397
Katie Hodgman

There are those people who are placed in your life at just the right times. It can be intentionally, or completely by accident. No matter how they entered your life, you know they’ll forever leave a footprint on your life. This is a letter to the person who has impacted my life, and helped me grow into the woman I am today.

Thank you for challenging me always to dig a little deeper, even if it hurts..

Thank you for always being a listening ear, no matter how long I “vent”.

Thank you for being a smiling face, even on my darkest days.

Thank you for your heart of gold.

Thank you for the numerous conversations over “Dirty Chai’s & “1% Vanilla Lattes”.

Thank you for your educator heart that puts others before yourself.

Thank you for wiping my tears of sadness and joy.

Thank you for sharing your family with me.

Thank you for your honest words, even when it’s the opposite of what I wanted to hear (but exactly what I needed to hear).

Thank you for encouraging me to always take care of myself mentally, physically, spiritually, and emotionally.

Thank you for your kindness and teaching me to be kind to others; especially to those who don’t seem “worthy” of it.

Thank you for pushing me to excel in my academics (nerds for life!).

Thank you for your love, when I’ve felt the lowest. Knowing I was loved made all the difference in the world.

Thank you for answering my calls and texts about anything and everything (you know they can come out of left field, and you’ll always reply).

Thank you for sharing your snacks with me at school when I didn’t feel like going to the cafeteria.

Thank you for reminding me about living a simple, less materialistic life; and finding what truly is important to me.

Thank you for allowing me to listen to your joys and troubles in life. I love hearing the latest and greatest about your days.

Thank you for sharing your travel bug with me, and creating dreams of traveling the world one day.

Thank you for continuing to fuel my reading passion and letting me borrow your great reads.

Thank you for modeling for me what it means to be a strong woman who sticks to her morals.

Thank you for proving to me that it’s okay to be upset about something, as long as you don’t take it out on someone else.

Thank you for accepting my weird quirks and still wanting to be my friend.

Thank you for the infinite amount of life talks we’ve shared (I’m sure I owe you a substantial amount of money for all the free sessions you’ve given me).

Thank you for teaching me to keep an open mind, even when I want to resort to my close-minded ways.

Thank you for keeping me up to date on the important events that occur in your life (it is a two-way friendship after all).

Thank you for showing me that a trip across the world can bring you the happiness you’ve desperately needed.

Thank you for being a role model to me, and the older sister I never had.

Thank you for making me a stronger woman of Christ, and guiding me into a more foundational relationship with Him (I will forever be thankful for this one).

But most importantly, I just want to thank you for making yourself available in a time of need. When I needed an outlet and guidance from someone wiser, you were there.

I’m sure there’s more I could thank you for, because you truly have had one of the biggest impacts on my life. I can honestly say that without your guidance and support over the last six years, I would not be the confident woman I am today. Your kindness and friendship will forever be ingrained in my heart. I thank the Lord that He had a plan to bring you into my life. I appreciate you more than you’ll ever know. Thank you for being the mentor I wanted, but thank you for becoming the dear friend I never knew I needed.