An Open Letter To Incoming College Freshman

College Is The First Step Towards Adulthood.

10

Dear college freshman,

I bet every one of you is super excited to join the ranks of college kids and begin your four-year college experience. You are giddy with happiness about meeting your new roommate and starting dorm life as an independent young adult. Every second that ticks down to move-in are nerve wracking because you don't know what dorm you will land in or what kind of dorm neighbors there will be. You might also be nervous to start classes this first semester as a college freshman after hearing from experienced college students.

Who knows what that math teacher will really be like? How many hours a week will you have to spend on homework and studying? Where in your schedule will there be any social time?

These all concerns and questions many college students before you have had. I'm can definitely say I've had my fair share of worries and doubts about my first year of college. However, there is something actually amazing that is about to take place in your life. Want to know what this massive event is?

Well, I'll go ahead and tell you. The event that is going to take place will be the moment you turn from a dependent teenager into an independent young adult. You are officially stepping into the real world and will have to learn how to adapt quickly in order to succeed. Over the course of this first year, you will face lots of challenges from classes to friendships.

You will learn over the year who you are as a person and what is most important to you. Another thing you will learn about is the importance of speaking up and saying something. Your voice was always one of many in high school with some influence; however, in college, this all changes. Your voice will be louder and more influential than ever. You will be creating a reputation and image for yourself. There are so many opportunities to make yourself known.

College is one of those places where experimentation will happen and I don't mean just in chemistry class. You will be experimenting with all sorts of organizations, clubs, sports, activities, groups, and more. The opportunities college provides you are right at your finger tips. All you have to do is reach out and grasp them. College is a place where you will make so many friends and be introduced to lots of cultures. People from around the world will surround you and allow you a small insight into different lifestyles. Another thing that will happen while you're in college is friendships.

Your first year of college is all about getting acquainted with having adult responsibilities, such as living on your own, time management, organizational skills, and interpersonal skills. You will enter college one way and come out as a completely new and improved you. However, one key tip I would like to share with you is to never lose sight of who YOU are as an individual. Each one of us has a special skill or talent that sets us apart from the rest.

Use your special gift to your advantage. Let others see the goodness and kindness in you, as well as, allow yourself to be vulnerable at times. Open up to friends or your roommate and let them know how you are. Tell someone if you feel upset and they will be there to help any way possible. High school is all about who's the trendiest, smartest, most popular, etc.

College. That is a whole new part of your life. You are writing a new chapter in your life the moment you step into the life of a college student. You will have lots of all-nighters, coffee addictions, bad days, and anxiety. On the flip-side, you will have lots of fun moments going out with friends, enjoying dorm life, trying out different classes and activities outside your comfort zone, and meeting new people every day.

The day you begin college life is the day you begin your first step towards adulthood. So, with all that being said, welcome to the college life incoming freshman. You will remember these next four years for the rest of your life. Take risks. Learn from your mistakes. Keep living every day to the fullest.