An Open Letter to the High School Senior Deciding Between Mizzou and Another School

It's a big choice to make. Choose wisely.

131
www.pinterest.com

Dear Prospective Member of the Mizzou Class of 2021,

Welcome to the beginning of a time of your life that will be near and dear to your heart forever. First off, I would like to properly congratulate you for tackling one of the most monotonous and tedious periods of your life—high school. You are moving on to bigger and better things, just trust me. As for deciding upon where to spend these next four important years of your life, you must go with your own instincts. Nobody else can determine or create your personal happiness. Only you know what you’re looking for.

Consider making your decision one of the first learning experiences of adulthood. There are many factors which you must consider. Where do you feel at home? What are you looking for in a campus environment? Do the academic programs meet your own educational goals? Will you be able to blend in easily? These and more may be some determining points in where you’ll decide to go to college.

In an attempt to avoid an inherent bias, I must remark that every college bestows amazing opportunities for each of its students. The University of Missouri focuses exclusively on a hands-on approach. The professors and faculty truly believe that real learning and understanding stems from a genuine knowledge of the trade in which the students wish to enter. Real world experience both sharpens and clarifies how people react and present themselves in their industry. If this is something you are seeking out in a collegiate environment, Mizzou is for you.

Perhaps, you were a star athlete in high school. The intensity of game days sent a rush of adrenaline through your veins and heartbeats of pride in your chest. The ability to participate in college level athletics, however, is not available to all. On the other hand, whether you are a skilled athlete ready to become a real tiger on the prowl or a retired high school jock, there are options for you at the Zou. Play on the real Mizzou team or join an intramural sport. In all honesty, you can get the same amount of enjoyment from either. If you’re not ready to let the ball hit the floor, Mizzou is for you.

Maybe you thrive off of camaraderie and deep bonds of friendship. You’ve never had the chance to witness the unique bond with a brother or a sister. If this is the case, Greek Life is your best option. Mizzou fraternities and sororities offer a lot of their time and money to both the Columbia community and the special philanthropies which they promote and sponsor. If you enjoy attending an occasional party and volunteering your time to others, Mizzou is for you.

All of these mentioned above and numerous more are some of the reasons that may draw you to Mizzou. You must, however, experience this connection for yourself. You’ll know Mizzou is for you if you walk around the glorious landscape of campus and can’t help but smile as you pass by the prestigious columns or Jesse Hall. You’ll know Mizzou is for you when a friendly professor greets you with a warm hello. You’ll know Mizzou is for you when you stand tall in the bleachers at a sporting event, proud to be rooting for the tigers whether it's a win or a loss. Only you can release the spirit of black and gold in your blood. Only you can feel perfectly at home as a tiger. If and when you do, you will realize that there is only one Mizzou, and it’s the only place for you.