An Open Letter To High School Seniors

An Open Letter To High School Seniors

Remember to take a minute and slow down.
16

Dear High School Seniors,

Congratulations, you're almost done with arguably the best and most difficult 4 years of your academic life! As the school year comes to a close and you become anxious about starting the next chapter of your life, remember to take a minute and slow down. Take a minute to be present in these last few weeks and reflect on the wonderful friendships and memories you've created over the past 4 years.

You have worked so hard to get to this point, you've worked so hard to graduate and start a new chapter in college. You have earned the satisfaction of knowing that the stressful nights of studying and finishing your homework that didn't seem very necessary are finally paying off. You are finally being rewarded and seeing your hard work come to fruition. You earned this!

You have made some awesome friends that you're afraid to say goodbye to, but goodbyes don't have to be forever. You've made memories with people you love and care about that will last you a lifetime and all the little drama of high school will soon be forgotten and a distant memory that doesn't matter anymore. What will matter is the friendships you made with people who uplifted you, supported you and stayed by your side. Those are the people and the memories that will matter.

While starting college and moving away from home is arguably one of the biggest change in your life, it's an experience that will allow you to become the responsible, independent young adult you've wanted to be. You have the opportunity to make something of yourself, to prove to yourself and others you are capable of success. It's time to start a new chapter. Believe me when I say college will truly be the best years of your life. And you'll soon understand why. Seize the opportunities that come your way and make the most out of your college years. College will be a blast, but never forget where you started.

Lastly, hug your parents for a little too long and a little too tightly. They've been the biggest supporters in your life and have spent the last 18 years helping to shape you into the best version of yourself that you can be. They have made countless sacrifices that you may never know about, just to give you the life and love you deserve. They're proud of you and all your success thus far, and that pride will never cease. But, you leaving them for college is bitter-sweet. Dropping you off at college will be one of the best and worst days of their life. Remind them that you love them, say thank you to them for all they have done for you, spend time with them before you leave. And please, call them every once and a while when you're in college.

Enjoy your last few weeks of your senior year, spend time making memories and being present with your family and friends and get ready for some of the best years of your life!

Congratulations!

Sincerly,

A College Student