An Open Letter To High School Basketball Girls

Sometimes a pep talk from a former player is what you need to jump-start your season.

318
Sierra Vista

Originally I wrote this for a former coach of mine, but I felt these words needed to be shared.

Ladies,

Take a second to look around you. Not only are these people your teammates, they're also your family. Being a part of a team isn't just about the sport, it's also about your relationship with those people. Relationships are the foundation of teamwork. If your relationship isn't good, then how can you expect play and work together well? I'm not saying you have to love each other like sisters, though that would be nice, but at least put effort into maintaining a good relationship. Teams with good (or great) relationships are much more likely to succeed.

There is no such thing as a "most valued player" on a team. Every player is valued equally. The person who scores the most points is not the star. The team itself is the star. Each person has a role to play that is equally important as the others. Whether that's cheering for your teammates, having solid defense, or knocking down three's, it's all important. And since each person has a role, the team will not work efficiently without a missing piece. Teamwork is much like a machine: if you take one part out, the whole thing is useless. Every part is essential. No one is unnecessary. Every player should know where they fit, what their role is, and how it works in response to others. Each individual must be willing to come together in order to make the team function as it should. Broken teams fall easily, just don't let it be yours.

To the seniors, this year of basketball will be your last chance to play with the family you've established. Make it an amazing one. Have fun, but work hard and raise the bar for incoming classes. But remember, even though it is your last basketball season, it is still not all about you, it's about the team. Don't let it get to your head. Enjoy it while you can, because it will be over too soon. In your last season, go hard or go home. For those who are playing in college, this may not be your last season, but it is in your high school career, so take it as far as you can. Because once it's all over, you'll have a sudden realization that you won't play with your same team, family, or friends again. If you hesitate to do anything you can for the team, whether that's on or off the court, you'll regret it later. I can't begin to tell you the countless times I thought about just a split second in a play where I hesitated and could have done something great or better than what I did, but failed to act. You will never get this chance again. Your high school career is ending, so why not go out with a bang?