An Open Letter To Friends That Are Family

I consider you family, and nothing less.

919
Jordan Chimento

Dear not-related “family,”

Each year I turn one year older, I become wiser and also I become smarter. Thanks to my family and friends I am still alive. Since I was a toddler, I got in trouble, back talked my parents and sometimes had raging temperaments, but through it all, I still had my family. Family can be defined by blood-relation, but I definitely have not-blood related family, and they are my “framily.” Framily is just a basic word that is made up to help describe you.

I want to thank you for being about apart of my family. The one who always connects with me when I am up or when I am down. Thank you for understanding me when I was younger. I always needed you to go ask my parents if I could spend the night because they liked you better than me sometimes. I always have valued you more than any other friends. I find myself turning to you for little things, too. I need your opinion because even as we are older we still have sleepovers and talk for hours...and all the late night ice cream runs I call you for.

When I am sad, lonely, happy or just bored, I always love to have you around, and I know always that you will be down for some good milkshakes. I never have told you enough how thankful I am for our friendship. Plus, I do not think you know how thankful my family is that you are one of us. My own sibling knows pretty much everything about your life as well (well… most of it). We may have gotten into trouble growing up, but I always knew if we were going down, we were going down together.

Also, don't let me forget about the times you have covered for me. Not just with parents, but in general. You always have my back, always stick up for me and always protect me. You don’t know how many times I have questioned who my friends were, but never have I counted you out. I’ve always wanted to give you a little shout out because you are family to me. I tell you how much I miss you just because I do the same with my actual family every day. But I also can’t wait to see our friendship grow more. After I have thought that we have been through it all, there is always something else that happens as we grow up.

To finalize this, I want to thank you for all the secrets that you have kept, the funny moments that we have shared and the friendship you have given me. After having you around for so long, I don’t think anyone could replace your role in my life.

Love,

Yours Truly.