Open Letter To The Friends Who Help Me Through My Anxiety

Thank you for knowing that this isn't me
90

My bubbly personality is something I am very proud of. I live and breathe positivity, the world around me excites me, and there is nothing more that I value than a good dose of laughter. As much as I would love to be like that 100 percent of the time, I know that is not true. There have been many times where I have been swallowed up by panic and fear. I have so wanted to give up, to quit, but you never let me.

To the friends who didn't know how to help me, but snuggled in bed with me and wouldn't let go. For the friends who hurt when I hurt, but could still see through the tough times when I wasn't able to. Thank you for talking through the crazy thoughts I had, and not letting me drop out of school. For understanding my illogical worries and acknowledging them. For believing that time heals all.

You don't know this, but you helped me breathe again. You made me smile when I wasn't able to do it myself. When I would fall apart, you were right behind me to pick up the pieces. Thank you for letting me use you as a punching bag when you did nothing to deserve it, and for seeing my pain before I could see it myself. You never walked away.

To the family I made at school who have loved me at my best but, most importantly, at my worst; who rode each wave with me and allowed me to cry as many times as I wanted. To those who spoke for me when I scrambled to find my voice. Thanks for checking on me even when your own lives got out of hand and putting yourself and our friendship on hold. For knowing that this isn't me.

You have filled my life with such greatness; I could never repay you for all you have done for me. You saw the real me hiding under all the tears and knew I wouldn't be like this forever. Thank you for waiting for me, enduring with me, and for never leaving me. The hardest part is knowing there are more times like these in the future, but with you, my dear friends, I know I can get through anything. For that, I thank you and I love you.