An Open Letter To My Person

An Open Letter To My Person

Honestly, how many people can say that they are still close with the best friend they met in grade school?

15
An Open Letter To My Person

I don't even know where to begin with this because a majority of what I'm about to say you already know or should know at least.

We go way back, and I do mean way back. Back when Twilight was still in theaters, for those of you that need an idea. Back when our parents still had flip phones and 11:30 was considered "late" on the weekends.

I just wanted to tell you thank you and remind you how much of a blessing you have been in my life.

People come and go, but the person that has stayed constant throughout everything is you. You've seen me at my lowest and my highest without judging or criticizing. When my dad was overseas, you were the one that was there to make sure I was doing okay and helped to keep my mind off of it.

You are the first person I tell when anything big happens in my life, and you're the first I go to when I need advice, which you've given so much of. I should probably be paying you for all the words of wisdom.

You honestly have no clue how important you are to me. When we were ten, we would laugh because people would mistake us as sisters. I mean, okay, we had the same color of hair, and we might have had a couple of the same shirts at one time or another so I guess I can see why it happened as often as it did.

I don't think those people were wrong though.

I mean, we tell each other everything and know one another so well that it only takes a look in one another's direction to tell what they're thinking.

I remember spending two full weeks at your house during the summer in grade school, only coming home every other day to grab a change of clothes.

All the late nights spent watching "Degrassi" or "Spongebob" while eating our weight in popcorn and chips, only to eventually fall asleep because we watched all the episodes on disc three, (yes, this was before Netflix kids) and were too lazy to put the next disc back in.

When junior high came along and we stopped attending the same school, instead of growing apart, we got closer. We didn't have the luxury of talking at lunch anymore, but Friday and Saturday nights meant all the catching up from the previous week.

We still did everything together. Our dads were friends which meant whenever it came time for our parents to pick us up from the other house, we got a few extra minutes (or hours) to hang out because you know once our dads got talking, there was no hope until either the game or Nascar race was over; not that we ever complained though.

Then on to high school, numerous boyfriends and yes, unfortunately, more drama. We still had each other to talk to about anything and everything. No matter how bad of day we had, the other was there to make sure we'd be alright. It got easier as we began to drive and could be at each other's house in less then five minutes.

Whether it was family drama or school drama, you would be the first I knew I was going to talk to and vice versa. No matter which one of us were having trouble with something, the other was here to listen. Whether we sat around at home or sat in the driveway for hours, our conversations got deep: from talking about what we want out of life to wondering which Taylor Swift song was about which ex.

Honestly, how many people can say that they are still close with the best friend they met in grade school? We can. And soon those same two kids are going to be high school seniors. Umm how? How did you go from the two girls that saw "Eclipse" thirteen times in one week to the people we are today. All I have to say about that is this: Lord, please help the college that accepts us both.