An Open Letter To Those Who Encouraged Me

You've made a huge impact on me

485
Antonio Guillem

Hello,

I wanted to take some time to say a little thank you to each person that has ever affected me. I won't say any specific names because it would take forever, but I still want you to know that you've made a difference to me and have brightened my day somehow. To the people who helped raise me, including my mom, dad, aunts, uncles, and grandparents. Thank you for teaching me so many ways to interpret the world and the people within it. Thank you for all the food, clothes, education, and love that you've provided to me. I appreciate every single sacrifice you've made for me to get to where I am, and for that I am eternally grateful. Thank you to my friends who have stayed by me and have helped me grow and heal when I've felt small. I know that without you, life would have been a lot less wonderful. To the people who made me feel small; thank you for helping to shape me to be the person I am today. I never liked you and when I knew you, I didn't like me either.

I will never be the same because of you, but I love myself even more because I knew that your words didn't matter more than mine. To my best friend; you've always been one of the most magnificent people I've ever met and I am so grateful for you. To my siblings; each and every one of you make me feel like I'm a superhero, but I know that it's actually you guys that save me each and every time. Thank you. To my animals; even though you walked away when I tried to hold you when I cried, I still know you love me. To the people I've left behind; I'm sorry that things changed but I'm not sorry that I did. Thank you for your time and for helping me to become the person I am today. To my brilliant and inspiring teachers; thank you for all your help and for helping me discover that I deserve better.

To my teachers that only liked to help the jocks, you helped me learn that I deserved better. To the lady who I met in the bathroom in Airforce Station in Germany during the firework ceremony, thank you for helping me realize that I'm not alone in my struggles of PTSD. I don't know your name but I remember your face and sometimes it helps me stay strong. To my first boss and my most recent managers; I am so lucky to have you and thank you for being so patient with me. Finally, to every person who has passed by me and has taken the time to get to know me or smile at me. You all have been so encouraging and have shaped me to become a better person. Even if I don't know you very well, you are making an impact on this world and you've made an impact on me somehow. Thank you for your time everyone.

Sincerely,

Me