An Open Letter To Emmy Voters Re: Why I Didn't Get Nominated This Year

I was robbed, I tell ya, robbed!

11
today.com

This past week, the 2016 Emmy nominations were announced, and though "Game of Thrones" fans had much to celebrate with their 23 nominations, many other fans of shows such as "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend," "Jessica Jones" and "Daredevil" were disappointed by the Emmy's lack of love. I am also definitely disappointed in the lack of Emmy nominations for deserving actors and actresses, most specifically: me.

Yes, I am extremely saddened that all my hard work and time went unnoticed yet again by the Hollywood bigwigs; my performances in the past year were unparalleled and yet I received nothing. Which is why I am compelled to write the following letter to the Emmy voters who have ignored yet again my star-studded natural born talent.

Dear Sirs and Madams,

Hello (again). I'm sure at this point you know who I am, as I have been writing you the same letter for the past seven years, starting with my lack of Emmy award-winning performance as Angsty Preteen Wanting A Facebook Really Badly.

Another year, another graceless snub by you voters who--I'm sure--are just voting for all your friends and people who are blackmailing you. I get it, it's a popularity contest, and if middle school proved anything to me--I don't typically win those.

However, this year I was excited; excited for possible change, excited by new possibilities to showcase my acting finesse.

Here, outlined for you, are 10 of my top performances in 2016:

1. Pretending I was asleep when my mother told me to walk the dog.

This was truly some of my best work, as she called my name no less than 16 times.

2. Looking really sad when my professor cancelled class for the next week.

It was a 9 a.m. Need I say anymore?

3. Looking really excited at job interviews for Sears.

It smelled like Land's End clothing, and they told me I'd be working nine-hour shifts, but I smiled my way through because "I love standing and customer service." (I didn't get the job.)

4. Crying in a car as I finished my final papers at 11:59 p.m.

What a raw performance; it came naturally, almost as if it wasn't acting at all, and as if I had to complete three papers in a dark car with faulty internet connections of cafes that we passed by.

5. Getting really sick right before spring semester because I was walking around in the snow without proper thermal heating.

I said I was "committed to my art." My mother said, "I told you so."

6. Watching seven hours of "House Hunters" before class but still looking alert and awake.

Adriene the real estate agent and her berets were all I could focus on, but I powered through the discussion on Fish's deconstruction of Strunk and White's discussion of style and was called on approximately three times. Answers were a two point five, but effort was definitely a 10!

7. Smiling really wide and not passive-aggressively when asked about how my classes were going.

Yes, my butt is clenched, and it feels like you're poking me with a fiery stick.

Why do you ask?

8. Nodding politely at your son who just got into Harvard with a scholarship, then eating 10 mini-croissants at the barbecue.

Listen, I didn't even apply to Ivy Leagues (throwing my glistening hair back and laughing quietly). I didn't want all the attention. Oh, but I'm sure David will do wonderful things when he comes back from Guatemala saving the children. Would you excuse me, I see the appetizers are out.

9. Stress-eating 14 pizza bagels when looking at the semester's tuition, but sleeping through work for the third time that week.

That really took commitment; I was sure one day I was going to crack and just get up and go to work, but no, I stuck it out and stayed true to my craft. I turned off my alarm and fell right back asleep. Truly inspirational, I know. And finally...

10. Pretending like I haven't just been listening to the Black Eyed Peas for an entire semester of Fitness and Wellness instead of biking.

Hello, good sir, I am not sweating, nor is my face red, and that is simply because I am in such good shape that 20--I'm sorry, 30--minutes on an exercise bike simply does not phase me. No, I wasn't on my phone, that's ridiculous. I definitely was not looking up Sutton Foster's dog on Instagram while listening to "Where Is The Love?" Who would do such a thing?

As you can see, these poignant and beautiful episodes of my life are indeed deserving of your recognition, you Emmy snobs. Yeah, that's right, you people never recognize real talent; go back to Louis-Dreyfus and tell her that this season of Veep wasn't that great. But also could you pass along the attached headshot to her?

Thanks,

A Disgruntled Emily

P.S. "Homeland?" Really?