A Letter To The College Friends That Changed My Life

I have become a better version of myself because of you.

13
Ben White on Unsplash

To the amazing friend I made in college,

First of all, thanks. Thanks for putting up with my sense of humor, my pointless rants, and my insecurities. I have always struggled with finding my true sense of self, getting stuck in my own mind, but because of you, I have grown so much within just one year. You have built me up in ways that I cannot express in words. Making me go out of my comfort zone, pushing me to go and talk to people I normally wouldn't, that is exactly what I needed this past year, and you gave me that. You helped me through the rough patches, and the times when I felt less than, but you built me up in ways that I have never had in my life. You helped to bring a new confidence back into my everyday.

Thank you for the amazing adventures that we went on, from going into the city, to going to the mall, to just going on our weekly Starbucks runs, everything we did together brought me great joy. These memories are ones I cherish and have really gotten me through this summer without you, knowing I would get to hang out with you soon and make more amazing memories. You made my birthday into a big deal, which it had never been before, and so many people were a part of that, which makes me extremely happy whenever I think about it. So thanks for that.

Whether we were friends right away during those first couple days, or if we didn't become close until months later, either way, you hold a special place in my heart. The length of our friendship means nothing, especially since I know you are a friend for life. Going into college I was extremely scared as I had always had the same friends for my entire life, so having to go out and make friends was something very nerve-wracking for me. But you welcomed me with open arms, and for that, I am so lucky to have you.

I've missed you a lot this past summer, like you don't understand how rough it was. I didn't realize how lucky I had it, living in the same building as all of my friends, but now that we all live hours away from each other I can hardly stand it. I can't just walk across the hall or to the other side of the building to go and find you, which has been really weird. I am so excited to see you in less than a month now, and you better be ready for all of the Starbucks, late night fast food runs, and adventures, because I've missed them so much I will make sure we have lots of them.

I love you and see you soon!