An Open Letter to My College Family

An Open Letter to My College Family

Without you, "ohana" is just another word.

6
An Open Letter to My College Family
Aspen Murphy

It is taking all my willpower not to jump in my car and drive the 1,600 miles to see you all! You are the people I want to eat ice cream with, dance to 2011 top hits with, and laugh until my abs hurt with. And I basically want that all right now!

When we are together at college, you all become my other halves. You keep me sane and motivated to not drop out and sell waffles on the street. You were the people who talked me out of spending all of my money on art and coffee. My meals are planned around you and what you wanted to do. We were almost never seen without one another. We planned everything together, and our weekends were spent together except when work decided to try to pull us apart. You made me smile every day, and you inspired me to be kind when I didn’t feel like it.

Then summer rolled around and reality hit us.

We had to travel back to our hometowns and go back to our sweet, crazy families and delicious, homemade food. But as much as I love all of that, I miss our family that we've created out of a few college misfits and our calorie packed brunches. We have gone back to our summer jobs and activities, but I miss coming to our rooms at the end of the day, laughing and venting. We have gone back to a few of our old friends, which is great, but it just isn’t the same because we have not shared the past many months together.

I love writing in our group chat about all the embarrassing things that happened to me and hearing about all of your exciting news. I love sharing inside jokes and laughing just as hard all over again.

You have the right to tell me when I am being a terrible person and am too emotional, but you all also are my number one fans. You can tell when I am having a bad day and you get me my favorite ice cream or Starbuck’s coffee.

You all are my rock and my stronghold at college. You point me in the right direction and help me to see the best in others. You are always encouraging people and lifting them up. I miss your sweet spirit, yet blatant honesty. You are going to do so many amazing things this summer and I wish I could be there to experience it all with you. Being away from you isn’t my favorite, but I guess it is better that way for now because we would probably spend the whole summer eating ice cream and watching Netflix since we wouldn’t have any papers or exams to stress about.

Maybe we will be able to get an apartment together someday like we dreamt about, decorate the apartment, and actually pick out a puppy from the pet store instead of just holding it and putting them back.

I am looking forward to our coffee runs and late night adventures. Thank you for just being you and for letting me be me.

Remember: eat your veggies, wear bright lipstick, and don’t let boys be mean to you.