Growing up my mom always used to sing, “This is the job that never ends” while cleaning the house or doing the laundry. I never truly understood the reasoning for her singing that, until now anyways. Since coming to college I feel as if I am always on the go. 9 a.m. class, work, 12 p.m. class, homework, 2 p.m. class, internship, homework, study, sleep (if I’m lucky), repeat.

The truth is, I enjoy being busy but sometimes I just need a break. Everyday of the week I have something I need to do or somewhere I need to be, people to please and I forget to “please” myself. I struggle with making commitments I cannot go through with and putting way too much on my plate than I should. I know I’m not the only one out there like this.

Recently, I have come to the conclusion that being busy is inevitable for me; I’ve always been the type to “Spread myself too thin,” at least that’s what my mom says anyways. I want to be the best at everything I do but sometimes that’s hard when I’m trying to do 100 things at once.

I genuinely do not remember the last time someone asked me how I was doing and my response wasn’t something a long the lines of “Good but really stressed,” or “Okay I’m just really busy.” Something I just have to keep reminding myself is that in a couple years this is all going to pay off, hopefully anyways.

Even though we are busy all the time it is important for us to enjoy everything we are doing, whether it be work, school, meetings, or extracurricular activities. You have chosen to be where you are so you might as well enjoy it. One day everything you do is going to be worth it, whether is be that promotion you’ve been hoping for or walking across that stage to receive your diploma, it will all be worth it one day.

So as you’re rushing to point A from point B, remember to enjoy yourself. Roll your car window down and listen the songs that make you scream your heart out. Befriend the girl that sits next to you in your English class because it’s always nice to have someone to look forward to talking to each day.

And if you are feeling too overwhelmed, take a day off. One of my teachers in high school used to always say, “Everyone could use a mental health day here and there.” Always remember that you come first.