An Open Letter To My Boyfriend As He Goes Abroad

Words can't express how much I'm going to miss you.

20442
Shunquell Dennis

Dear boyfriend,

Since we first met, you always talked about studying abroad, and I was all about it because I knew that it is something you had always wanted to do, and I sought to be supportive of you following your dreams to spend a semester away experiencing new things.

In these past 8 months, you’ve become more than my boyfriend; you’ve become one of my best friends as well. I have to admit, initially, I did not really expect us to get as close as we did but I’m glad that it happened. These past two semesters you have made me laugh like no one else while also showing me a side of myself I never knew was there. Even though I have my faults like anyone else, you were able to accept them and look above and beyond because you had yours as well.

There are many things I have really come to admired about you. One of them being how highly you speak of your family and friends. From the moment we met, you always told me stories about your childhood and how you met some of your best friends today. I have also never met anyone who loves and appreciates their dog as much, let alone more than you do.

I also admire the fact that you put up with me. I know I can’t be the easiest person to deal with sometimes, but you always seem to be there, even when I get mad at you for no reason. You are the sweetest and the most caring guy I have ever met, and I realized this since the night I fell asleep in the end lounge of our floor and you went out of your way to bring me a pillow and a blanket.

We’ve haven’t fought that much, but when we have, it never lasted for long. You don’t ever have to tell me that you love me because I see you show it every day and have truly come to understand that actions do speak louder than words.

We both knew initially that being together would be hard considering that you are from Maine and I’m all the way from Washington, D.C., but none of that mattered then and it doesn't matter now. You always have told me to “live in the moment,” and we would deal with things as the time came.

As the time has come, I find myself thinking about the great times we’ve had over this past school year, like the first time I went to your Saturday night radio show with you and how happy it made me to know that you enjoyed me being there as well as the ones I look forward to when you come back. Although I’m sad to see you go for such a long time, I will be waiting. So I wish you the best of luck as you study abroad and as you told me, this isn’t a goodbye, it’s simply a see you later.

Love,

Your girlfriend