An Open Letter To The Boy Who Will Capture My Sister's Heart

What a privilege it is to know her love.

24
Ashley McCoy

To the boy who will change her life,

She was my comrade in defending our pillow forts from the great unknown. She was my accomplice when it came to sneaking out of the yard and down to the river that our parents told us to stay away from. She was there when I fell and scrapped my leg on the rocks at that forbidden river. She is the person in my passenger seat when we get lost looking for a Dairy Queen because we can’t wait another second for a blizzard. She is the first one to know all my secrets, the only person who understood my unfortunate obsession with the Twilight novels. She is my person, and one day she will become your person, and I hope you understand what a great privilege that will be.

She is determined, driven, and passionate. She is quite literally the first person on the court and the very last to leave. At times this passion will seem overwhelming, the determination can become too much, in those moments help her to relax. Make her laugh, take her to a movie, drive around with no destination and sing ridiculously loud. She is the most stubborn person, she has to have the last word, I promise you as infuriating as that will be, and I guarantee it will be, she will also be the most caring and selfless. She has an unhealthy need for donuts and root beer. She losses her car keys ten times a day, but will refuse to use the spares. She is always on the go; she won’t let anyone slow her down. She has a burning passion that is a amazing to see, and very few have the fortune of knowing, so if she lets you in, don’t dim her fire but help her to keep the flames going.

My hopes are that you change her world. That you show her what it is to be loved by a boy who embraces her completely. I hope that you become the first person she tells all of her secrets too. I hope that you became her person, her supporter, her everything. I will always be there for when she needs to vent about the time that you didn’t notice her haircut. I will be there for when she tells about the first time you guys kissed. My hopes are that you cherish her love and that you never break her heart. But I know that I will be there for that too. So, when she finds you, please embrace her, laugh with her, cry with her, get lost with her, and love her. She deserves a love as extraordinary as she is.

With my whole heart,

The girl who has some funny stories to tell you.