What Incoming College Freshmen Should Know Before Their First Day On Campus
College

An Open Letter To Upcoming College Freshmen, From A Former College Freshman

What I wish I knew before I started college.

292
Photo by Saiarchana

Dear Upcoming College Freshman,

You most likely just finished high school, and are probably looking back at your childhood with wonder, wondering how it passed by so quickly. You also might be looking at the future ahead of you, feeling fear.

How do I know this? I felt the exact same thing a year ago. I didn't know what to expect from college. There weren't that many movies or TV shows that highlighted what college would be like. So, I was terrified. There are certain things I wished someone would've told me about college. Yet, no one told me these things. I had to discover them for myself. Here is what I discovered:

You don't have to be afraid.

You don't need to be scared. I know college can be intimidating, but I promise, it is going to be such a beautiful experience. I discovered that college is an opportunity to grow into one's true self. In college, you will discover your passions, your tribe, and who you want to be in relation to this world.

Be excited!

Turn your fear into excitement. You are about to enter a new chapter in your life, one with many beautiful surprises. Instead of fearing it because of its uncertainties, feel excitement due to its possibilities.

College won't be perfect.

When I came into college, I had the expectation that everything would be perfect, and that I wouldn't struggle. This expectation wasn't realistic, because college is just like life. There will be ups and downs, and sometimes things won't go your own way. But, even when things don't go your own way, know that everything will be okay. You will discover ways to deal with whatever issues surface.

You will learn how to deal with life.

In college, so many issues will come up that you will need to deal with because part of life is dealing with issues that surface. For example, I remember going into college expecting to feel super close to the people around me. During the first semester of my freshman year, I realized how this wasn't the case. I didn't find my best friends during the first few months of college. I remember going home during Winter Break, and asking myself: "What can I do to change this?"

When I came back during my second semester of college, I reached out to more people, became more involved in clubs, and talked to people I wouldn't normally talk to. These active changes in my life helped me find my best friends and make my college experience more enjoyable. Even though things didn't work out as perfectly in the beginning as I hoped, it taught me valuable lessons on how to make friends. In college, things won't be perfect. But, this will teach you how to develop skills to deal with whatever issues come up in life.

Now, you will be going into a new chapter in life. Don't be scared. You are about to embark on one of the most life-changing journeys you'll ever experience. You are going to grow so much. Don't forget to enjoy the ride.