An Open Letter To Myself On My 21st Birthday

Twenty-one means twenty-fun, right?

5207
Fabulous Femme

Dear newly twenty-one-year-old me,

Well, the day that you have anticipated for the longest time is finally here. You’re officially twenty-one years old…how does that make you feel? This day means so much more than being able to purchase your first alcoholic beverage. You are being thrown into some of the greatest years of your life. There is so much that happens during your twenties, so hold on tight, you’re in for quite a ride!

Think about it…in your twenties you will graduate college and you will be thrown into the real world, you will get your first job, your own place, you will most likely meet the man that you will spend the rest of your life with, and maybe you’ll even start your own family. Okay, let’s be real…that sounds absolutely crazy, but it’s true. I want you to get excited because this day symbolizes the door to your future, your life…and your life is what you make of it.

Right now, right this second, you are your youngest self. With this being said, I need you to understand a few things, and realize that you have the power to achieve what you want. You have to hold on to your dreams and never let them go. You have to be selfish during these years because focusing on yourself and figuring out what you want is so important. Do some soul-searching, make discoveries, be confident in who you are, and always stand for what you believe in.

I know this all might sound way too serious for a day that should be spent having fun, but I just have to make sure that you’re prepared to come face-to-face with your future. I want you to be the best possible version of yourself. I want you to surround yourself with those who lift you up and make you feel good about the person you are.

Find people who appreciate you for your originality and never let them go. Never forget the importance of family…always keep them close to your heart. Stay humble by constantly reminding yourself of your roots, and where you came from. Stay confident and poised.

I want you to have the greatest time today because you deserve nothing less. Go out with your gal pals and hit up some bars. Have a few drinks, talk to cute guys, dance your butt off, let loose… just enjoy yourself as much as you can while staying the classy and fabulous girl that you are.

There is one last thing that you need to promise yourself, something that is so important for your mental and emotional well-being. Always stay strong and independent, as cliché as it sounds. Just, please, don’t depend on a man to carry you through your life. You are so incredibly smart and capable of supporting yourself, and there is so much pride that is attached to that. I’m not telling you that falling in love and sharing your life with your prince charming is a bad thing…I want you to have that more than anything. Just never lose sight of your strength and how amazing you are because it will be so rewarding to you in the end.

Get excited…there is so much to look forward to.

With Sincerity,

Your younger self