I Made A Commitment To Loving My Boyfriend, And Your Opinion About My Sexual Experience Is Irrelevant

I Made A Commitment To Loving My Boyfriend, And Your Opinion About My Sexual Experience Is Irrelevant

"There is a difference with sleeping with someone and sleeping with someone you love."

1184

Yes, curiosity exists in our everyday lives. It is a natural element that we experience every moment of every day. I find myself being curious as to how my life would be different if I went to a different high school if I hadn't joined the swim team, if I had been born a year earlier or a year later. There is no denial that curiosity plays a large role in who we are, and who we hope to become one day. That being said, that does not mean that I am always curious as to what else is out there. In fact, I am beyond happy in my three and a half year relationship, and I would not change anything for the world.

At a family get together, I was hit with the question of "If you've only ever tasted chocolate, how do you know you don't like strawberry or mint chocolate chip?" Truthfully, this hit me hard. It hit me harder than I would have imagined, and it hit my boyfriend even harder. It was true. We have only ever been with each other, and have only ever experienced each other's bodies. I found myself wondering what else there was, and if I were truly missing out on something. And then I realized something.

Something groundbreaking.

Something that affects me and my relationship positively even to this day. It doesn't and shouldn't matter to me what I am "missing out on," simply because I am so in love with this man. I love everything about him, and I would rather have someone that understands me, my body, and my emotions to rely on, rather than to sleep around with everyone. As it seems, the people who tend to ask my boyfriend and me similar questions to the one mentioned above are individuals who are typically part of the hookup culture.

Because these people are more used to having casual sex, they are not able to fully understand what it is like to feel a deep connection both physically and spiritually with the person they are having sex with. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with people feeling comfortable enough in their body to share their body with multiple individuals, that is not who I am, and something I do not see myself ever being comfortable doing.

The way I see it at least, is that if you love someone and are happy, why worry about what else may or may not be out there? As Bert Lance was once quoted with, "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" In other words, if something is working for you and it is not broken, there is no need to attempt to find a new way to "fix" it. The same can be said for my relationship. While we may argue, at the end of the day, our relationship is held together with our love and support of each other. Therefore, there is no need to search for other experiences when we have found what we believe to be the perfect experience within each other's bodies.

I recognize that I may spend the rest of my life wondering what I could have experienced with other people, but I also recognize that I have a love unlike any other, and that is something beyond special. Being able to share with your future children that you have only spent your life loving and being loved by one person is an extremely emotional concept and one that I can't wait to brag about.

I made a verbal and emotional commitment to spend as much of my life as possible loving him, and your opinion about my sexual experience is irrelevant.