If You Don't Use OneNote To Take Notes, You Should

It's the best decision I've ever made in regards to note taking

1327
OSX Uninstaller

How you take notes, especially in a college class, is a big decision. Even if you don't realize it, it says a lot about the type of student you are. I've always been a big advocate of handwriting notes, I truly believe in the studies that say it helps your brain retain information better. That was until I discovered OneNote. Marquette offers a free Microsoft subscription to all of its students (and many other schools do too, ask your IT services to find out). This has come in handy SO many times I can't even count. OneNote is not just a note taking app, it has the ability to be whatever you need. I am able to use my computer to take notes in all of my classes but one. Which has been a saving grace as so many of my professor talk at lightning speed.

OneNote gives you the ability to make a section (which I use to make one for each of my classes) and then and an unlimited number of pages within that section. I also use OneNote when I am taking notes for my executive board meetings on clubs I am on. Here is how I organize OneNote for my classes this semester.

A section can also be color coordinated (as seen above) which makes it so much easier to discern which class is which. They also offer some bomb color choices because isn't that what note taking is all about?

When I am taking notes I am able to create a page for different topics my professor is talking about. In many of my classes, we will do activities randomly and I am able to simply create a new page to put the information. Then go back to my previous spot in the notes whenever I need. The best part is that they are all in the same place! No flipping through anything to find a certain lecture or topic.

This year I also created a section for the assignments I have in certain classes depending on when I have them. OneNote makes this super easy by having a "to-do" feature when you are typing.

Along with the "to-do feature, you're able to modify your text in many other ways that allow for a better understand and flow.

It also allows you to insert images whenever needed and blends them easily into your other notes.

All in all that is my schpiel on why everyone should use OneNote if you like taking notes on your computer. It was one of the best decisions I made coming into college and has made my life so much easier.