One Day, No Phone

One Day, No Phone

What is it like to go a day without your cell phone?

117
One Day, No Phone
taber

During one of my busiest days, I chose not to use my phone

Most people silence their phones during midterm week. Others make use of that wonderful airplane mode.

Here are the five things I learned from shutting my phone off:

1: I use my phone for more than just messaging people

I never realized how much I relied on my phone. I know it has evolved from the old talking machine it once was, but I always thought I was different from everyone else. I use my phone for checking the time (though I have a watch), games, social media, music, my guitar tuner and so much more. I was rushing to get to class and work because I did not have my phone for the time. I had to remember what events I had and when, because I did not have my calendar reminder going off thirty minutes before I needed to leave. My phone had become my personal assistant.

2: If I had my phone, I had an excuse to focus on it

While walking around campus, I noticed things I had not seen before. How I missed giant buildings in the middle of campus, I do not know. If my phone is in my hands, my eyes are on my phone. Why look up when you can look down? I imagine I have missed so many interesting, “this only happens in college” things because I was staring at my phone. I mean, when I was looking up, I saw a power-ranger. A real power ranger. (Note: It is Halloween season on campus, but still.)

3: I spend so much time on Facebook

I though I would have so much scrolling and catching up once I turned my phone back one. Not so. I realized I spent so much time scrolling through memes that did not affect me in the slightest. I just kept scrolling. I was able to complete more of my homework and studying more thoroughly than I had if I had my handy Facebook screen to distract me.

4: I’m not that important

Now don’t get me wrong. I definitely understand my self-worth. But I thought I would have hundreds of messages, between the seven group messages I am in. I maybe had 35. Life goes on. I am not the end all, be all. Now, some people do not have the luxury of turning their phone off, because people legitimately rely on them. As an overstressed college student, knowing that I did not have to fix everyone’s problems removed a lot of stress from me.

5: I like using my phone

Sometimes I take my phone and its gadgets for granted. Sometimes, I get angry when it doesn’t function the way I want it to. And I have to check my privilege. Not many people have a phone. So I am grateful for it. I like having the background music playing loudly. I am happy I have a working phone and people can contact me. Using it is not an issue. I must learn moderation. Putting my phone down to engage with other people is, surprisingly, fun. Playing a game of solitaire on my phone helps me relax. I like the convenience of a calendar, a phone, games, social media, and music combined into one handy device. And that is okay.

I learned that moderation is key. I think I am going to take a day a week off from social media, because it was relaxing and fun to engage in the world around me and not just the world on my phone. I am not the only person who can fix things and that is also okay. Turning off my phone was not the end of the world. We’ll see if I do it again.