Veterans Day 2016

A time to celebrate the all the brave men and women who serve or have served in the Armed Forces. This includes the Army, Marine Corps, the Navy, the Airforce, and the Coast Guard.

This day means a lot to me personally as I have multiple family members that have served in Armed Forces. My grandfather, Arthur, enlisted in the Army near the end of World War II. He joined to honor his brother, Walter. Walter was in the Navy as a torpedomans mate 3c and was in the Pacific Theater when his ship was sunk by the enemy. My grandfather honored his brother again by naming his first son after his brother as well. The third family member to serve our country was my father, Tim. He joined the Air Force after graduating high school. With his time in the military he learned a lot and respects this holiday. He is taught me that respect and I hope that if you have time to sit and talk with a Veteran. You can learn a lot from them. As my grandfather taught me, "a person who doesn't know their past. Will not have a future." That means that if you ignore the lessons of the past they will come back to haunt you. SO THANK YOU TO ALL VETERANS. I THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT YOU HAVE AND WILL FIGHT FOR.

I hope if you are reading this and have a family member that has served or is serving that you thank them for their time and sacrifice.

Here are some facts about Veterans Day which is every year on November 11.

-It was originally called Armistice Day. To commemorate the truce signed by the Allies and Germany after world war one.

-The truce was signed on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month which is why Veterans day is November 11.

-1954 was when Armistice Day changed to Veterans Day

-The difference between Veterans Day and Memorial day is that Veterans day celebrates everyone who has served while Memorial Day is to honor those who have lost their lives.

-At the tomb of the Unknown Solider at Arlington National Cemetery has a color guard ceremony to honor all the soldiers who we do not know who they are.