On My 20th Birthday

On My 20th Birthday

A letter to my teenage self on my 20th birthday

1721
On My 20th Birthday

Dear 10 year old me,

You finally did it, you made it to double digits. You are about to embark on the most defining years so far. You will face challenges, lots of struggles and ultimately devastation. You are about to face moments that you think will be the end of the world and something that you think you can not overcome. I promise though you will, you will be better for it.

Friends are going to come and go. Over the next few years challenges will rise and highschool feels like years of never ending misery. A lot of times you struggle to go, your mental health takes a hit and more than anything you feel misunderstood, like no one understands.

You experience a lot of loss. With your parents divorce a lot of things seem out of control. You find yourself confused and with no understanding of why. You feel betrayed and hurt. I promise it gets better.

Before you know it you'll be off at school, falling in love and on your way to getting everything you've ever wanted in life. Your grades are amazing, your family is proud of you and has doubled in size. Your years of misery are finally behind you and university is everything you have ever wanted and more.

As we finally close the chapter on the last decade it is crazy to think about how far we will come. Where you will be in 10 years. As I sit here on my 20th I look forward to the next 10. To things we will accomplish and learn.

You are about to endure so much these next few years and I want you to know no matter what I AM PROUD OF YOU. Don't give up and keep going. It's worth it, you're worth it. Keep pushing and I promise everything will be okay, soon.

I love you,

your future self