Poetry On Odyssey: On Growing Pains

Poetry On Odyssey: On Growing Pains

"I said to the sun / tell me about the Big Bang / The sun said, 'It hurts to become.'"

- Andrea Gibson

rcdoerr
rcdoerr
156

sorrow drips into her heart

soiling the busy veins,

pumping blood that whispers,

and there is comfort

in the sound

a dead sea barely contained

red waves roiling under parchment skin

she is awash in crimson fire

stepping in perfect time

with the tides

dust settles in her sunbeam showers

muffling their song with the suffocating memory

of things long forgotten

tucked away behind bookshelves

and lost in the post

elegance draped over shrunken shoulders

fading in its beauty

like the impression of a handprint left on frosted windows

or a curtain in the sun for too long

a murmur curled around the silence

she is lifted through time

like it is only a word

shakes off the wings of her youth like stardust

and casts them into the night,

silent as the dark that brought them.

Why You Should Stop Chasing Him

You deserve better.
23277

They say “the thrill of the chase" makes someone more enticing. There's just something about wanting something you can't have that drives you crazy (in a good way). There is never a dull moment. Pursuing him is a challenge. Nothing comes easily. What's the fun in that anyway?

I'm going to tell you this: stop chasing him. Stop forgiving him when he forgets to answer your text messages and phone calls. Stop being the one to always make plans. Stop letting him bail on you. Stop waiting around for him. Stop being lied to. Stop making excuses when he doesn't make time for you. There is a difference between someone who is “hard to get" and a flat out jerk who doesn't give you the time of day. Stop letting him use you.

You deserve to be with someone who makes you fall asleep every night in the middle of texting him because neither of you want the conversation to end. You deserve someone who plans dates for the two of you. You deserve someone who asks you to hang out before midnight. You deserve someone who wants to spend time with you just as much as you do with them. You deserve someone who insists on paying for your ice cream. You deserve someone who won't deceive you. You deserve someone who is straightforward. You deserve attention. You deserve affection. You deserve a partnership that is mutual, not one-sided. You deserve to be chased.

You are better than 3 a.m. “Hey" texts. You are better than a night spent watching a movie just to fool around. You are better than trying to decode his vague messages. You are better than his shadiness. You are better than mind games. You are better than being ignored.

If you have to chase him, he's not worth it. Don't settle for someone who makes you beg for his attention. If he is genuinely interested in getting to know you, he will put in the effort. A relationship where your feelings are reciprocated is far more rewarding than one where you constantly feel like you have to drag him along.

Change your mentality. Become more independent. Be confident, be bold. Find happiness in being alone. Don't waste your time pathetically chasing after someone who doesn't feel the same, but doesn't have the heart or the courage to tell you so. Your self-confidence and positivity will make you radiant, and eventually, you will attract the kind of guy who is mature enough to not mess with your head.