On Finishing My First Semester of College

A reflection on four months of school.

15
Unsplash

Merry Christmas! I miss my friends so much.

It's been two days. Two days. One semester, and I already have this much separation sadness. I'm not even far from them, most of them could visit me if they wanted, but I miss them.

College is weird (the good kind), and unlike in high school first semester just flew by. It was an interesting transition, with some things I loved and some things that I didn't like so much. I loved that I didn't have to wake up at the crack of dawn to go to school (9:30 classes are a blessing). I also loved that I wasn't in school for 6 or 7 hours, and had a ton of free time. Or at least what seems like free time, because the workload is a lot heavier and a lot more serious than it was in high school.

In one semester, though, my beliefs were confirmed that I am in the right place. I've met some great people. The other day I was talking to one of my girls and she said to me:

"Its been, what? Four months? Barely even that? Look at how close we are. Give it the full four years and we'll all be leaving here best friends. You're gonna be crying so much at graduation."

She's right, especially about the crying part. It's just such a nice experience, because you're literally surrounded by your friends all the time. It almost speeds along friendships that otherwise would have taken a while to cultivate. If I wanted to I could chill in my friends' living rooms until three in the morning and then walk a couple feet over to my own room.

We've also had to figure out how to be independent and have been forced to grow up. My friends and I learn how much we don't know how to do every day. Like the other day in the post office, struggling with the tape to close my shipping box only to realize there's a pre-made seal on the inside already.

I've also realized how much I have a love/hate relationship with sleep, in that I love staying up late and hate waking up early. It's so easy to finish all my work and then want to stay up watching Netflix or dancing in my room until the wee hours of morning, and then sometimes so hard to roll out of my bed the next morning.

Something I've also had to do in college that I didn't in high school is stay up late just doing work, which has been interesting. The other day I was up until almost 5 AM making a study guide for a test I might not have even done great on. But it's okay, that's life. At the end of the day, I can definitely say I tried.

Now we're on break, which is weird because I still feel the weight of having something to do that I'm forgetting on my shoulders, and as I've previously mentioned: I miss my friends. But I know we'll all have a good time and see each other, and pretty soon we'll be back. I just hope the next couple of years don't fly by like this semester did.