On Being a 'GDI'

On Being a 'GDI'

Some are Greeks. Some are GDIs.

14975
On Being a 'GDI'
Claire Cook

With a plethora of Greek Life Affiliations on campus, it's difficult to go anywhere without hearing about various events and philanthropies. The University of Missouri offers a variety of different houses for students to get involved in, and many Greek Life members identify with their frat or sorority. However, as the years have progressed, a sub-generation has risen: the GDIs- or the 'Goddamn Independents.'

According to Urban Dictionary, the top definition is as follows:

GDI:

God Damn Independent, a college student that is not in a fraternity/sorority.

While there are many students who are not Greek affiliated, the term GDI has taken on a slightly different meaning in recent times. Allow me to present another definition from Urban Dictionary, one that I feel sums up my situation a tad better:

GDI:

(God Damn Independent). A college student who is not an active or a pledge to a particular sorority or fraternity. The GDI has either chosen to not affiliate with the greeks or maybe rushed and did not pledge. Just depends on the particular GDI. Being titled a GDI should not judge who someone is, its just a decision.

While I am not in Greek Life, I attend many Greek events with my friends who are in various sororities. On a daily basis, I talk to a Sigma Kappa, a Kappa Delta, an ADPi, and many others who have Greek letters attached to their titles. After awhile, I couldn't help but notice how often it was assumed I was in a house, simply because I had friends that were. Questions such as, "What house are you in?" and "Are you a tri-sig too?" became common in my interactions with new people. To avoid this, I made a shirt that boldly stated what I was: Goddamn Independent. I decided to proudly stand by my status, with the help of my (Kappa Delta) friend encouraging me.

However, not everyone viewed being a GDI as a good thing. While I got praises from some for deciding to support Greek Life while not being officially part of it, some viewed my independent status as 'lazy' or 'lame.' Being a GDI was a decision I made after looking at what was best for me, and I suspect many Greeks chose to be in a house because they thought it was the best for them. I interact with both Greeks and non-Greeks on a daily basis, and I think the main issue is a lack of communication. After a lengthy discussion with a friend about GDIs, I decided to share my point of view, and explain being a GDI in order to help be better understood, and try to clear up any miscommunication.

Allow me to be clear - I do not hate sororities or fraternities. An astounding amount of the time, when I state that I am a GDI, I'm met with glares and questions about why I have an issue with Greek life. I have nothing against people in sororities or fraternities, it's just a a commitment I personally don't have time for. I'm pre-med, which mean that I already have a crazy schedule, and in addition to this, I have a job off campus. While this may not be the case for everyone, many others have different reasons to claim GDI status, such as finances, involvement and socialization.

For me, it was never a question of if I would join a sorority. I knew I wouldn't. I'm not huge on socialization, and would feel bad not being as involved as I should be if I went Greek. While I enjoy occasionally dressing up and going out, and going to look at the different Homecoming pomping boards, I never felt as if that was something I could do on an 'all the time' basis. I have a lot of studying to do, and although I admire the Greek system, it just wasn't for me.

While I may grasp the concept of being Greek or a non-Greek, I will never quite get the animosity I have viewed upon occasion. Looking at various articles online, I see a war between the Greeks and the non-Greeks. Deciding to be/not to be in a Greek association is a personal decision, and everyone has their different reasoning behind their decision. With something around 26% of the undergraduate population being Greek, we should not aim for a divide that rejects a large portion of our student population. I don't hate anyone based on their Greek affiliation, and I would hope no one hates me based on my independent status.

Being a GDI has allowed me to have the best of both worlds. I'm able to interact with people of many different backgrounds, and observe the campus with an understanding of what it's essentially like to 'be Greek,' as well as a comprehension of those who choose not to be. For me, it allows for unique connections to be formed with a variety of people from various backgrounds. So, I encourage you if you are a Greek who only interacts with Greeks: make a GDI friend. If you are a GDI who only interacts with GDIs: make a Greek friend. Some people choose to be Greek, some people choose to be a GDI, and there is nothing wrong with either of those associations. Don't be afraid to identify with what you choose.

As for me, I choose to boldly state my status as a Goddamn Independent.