Things Older Sisters Are Pros At

Things Older Sisters Are Pros At

From many years of experience.

7
Things Older Sisters Are Pros At

Being an older sister means you've got to be creative when it comes to surviving with your younger sibling(s). Here's a few things that I have become a pro at just from having a younger sister.

1) Being Bossy - Being the older sister means you spent a few extra years with your parents than your sibling has. Chances are, since you're the older sibling, your parents were probably a lot more strict with you than they are with your sibling(s). And of course you can't let your little brother or sister get away with something that you never even had the chance to do. You've got to tell them whats up. It's in your nature.

2) Creative Name Calling - Normally mom and dad yelled at you when you called your sister a butt-head, or a dork. So you had to get creative, and make up nick names that only your sibling(s) would understand. It would drive your sibling(s) nuts, but your parents usually gave up on trying to figure out what you were even talking about.

3) Correcting Their Mistakes - No matter how many times you tell them, your younger sibling will just keep arguing that they DO know the right words to the song on the radio. After enough bickering back and forth, your parents told you to "just drop it!". There was nothing else you could do but sigh and dramatically roll your eyes, as if it really mattered whether or not your three year old sister actually knew the words to that song.

4) Hiding Things - Food, clothes, candy, the TV remote. It doesn't really matter what it is, as long as your little sister can't find it.

5) Knowing When Someone Has Been in Your Room - Your younger sibling probably went in there to look for whatever it was that you hid. But they won't get away with it because they are going to move your things around or make a mess, and they won't remember to put everything back. Older sisters learn to remember exactly where they left every little object. Its like they develop detective skills, and can tell right away when something has been moved.

6) Giving Advice - As you get older, the bossiness eventually kind of turns into strong words of advice. You're still telling your sibling what to do, but at least you learn to be thoughtful about it. You can share your personal experiences with them, and try to lead them in the right direction. Something a good older sister SHOULD do.

7) Keeping Things Separate - Every single time you went to the store with your parents and you and your younger sibling got to pick something out, you HAD to ask the cashier for separate bags. You don't want their stuff touching their stuff. And you definitely did not want them to hold your bag.

8) Laughing With Your Sibling - There is one thing you're always going to be great at together, and that's laughing at all of the inside jokes you've created with your younger sibling(s). For some reason, this is especially fun on road trips. After being in the car for so long together, you start to get slap-happy. One of you makes a joke and its like it was the funniest thing you have ever heard. Then you go back and forth, and basically manage to drive everyone else in the car insane.

9) Taking Goofy Photos - You get so used to your parents taking pictures of everything that you and you sibling(s) do together, that you kind of get tired of the same smile and pose. Or maybe you get tired of standing so close to your younger brother/ sister. Either way, you feel the need to change it up, and make a weird face, stick out your tongue, or - the trademark - giving your sibling bunny ears. Your parents might get mad at the moment, but its always more fun to look back at the funny pictures.

10) Talking Without Words - You and your sibling know each other so well, that all it takes is a certain look to tell them what you're thinking. If you want to point someone out in public, but don't want to be too noticeable, a nudge and a head nod will work, and your younger sibling will know exactly what you mean.

No matter how much you mess with your younger sibling(s), you have to admit that being the oldest has really shaped your life, and made you the person you are today. I am thankful for my younger sister for all of the moments that we've wanted to strangle each other, and also for all of the moments that we've been inseparable. I don't know what I'd do without my younger sister, and I definitely wouldn't be the person I am today.