If Old-School Nickelodeon Cartoon Characters Were Today's College Majors

With so many similarities that develop these stereotypes, we have to wonder: Maybe these characterizations do hold SOME water.

244
SabersPark / YouTube

Obviously, these are not indicative of the character or personality requirements of these specific college majors and are just based off stereotypes. But the similarities between the students in these college majors and some 1990s and 2000s Nickelodeon cartoon characters are almost uncanny.

1. Chuckie Finster - Pre Med

I completely understand the reason why, but this major is largely made up of individuals who are not only scared of what's to come in medical school, but scared that they may screw up...and well, accidentally kill someone. Most in this major are very conscientiousness of their surroundings.

2. Grandpa from "Hey Arnold!" - Education

With so much information coming in and out of the spectrum every couple of years, these individuals will try to teach a valuable lesson, but many times can't actually remember how to apply the story they're telling to the lecture. They generally try to be very helpful, but often they just confuse the listener even more than they were before.

3. Winslow from "CatDog" - Political Science

These are the typical know-it-all students who will express how much MORE they know about "how the world and societies work," while following every rebuttal with a sarcastic or snide comment. These individuals will often try to pit the two partnered sides against each other in order to control the conversation or situation.

4. Jimmy Neutron - Computer Engineering

This one might be kind of a "no-brainer." These individuals are always trying to develop new technologies as basic as a GPS system and as diverse as robots. They are full of new ideas, and even though they will sometimes fail, they are always eager to try something different in order for it to work. The only downside is that many people may refer to them as being "too obsessed" with their work, and they may even be pegged as a bit of a "nerd."

5. Judy Funnie - Theater

Another obvious one for fans of 1990s Nickelodeon. Judy was the epitome of everything most theater majors are: self-absorbed, dramatic, and attention-seeking. These individuals, in theory, will attempt to be overly dramatic in every possible way. They generally do not have much outside interest in other subjects or topics but are very passionate about drama and theater. A lot of times they will "school you" on the most obscure details of any drama. Many times they do want to be the center of attention at all costs, but because of this attitude, they can be slightly arrogant and sarcastic. Total hipster status.

6. Big Bob Pataki - Business

If anyone of these was more stereotypical than the others, it would definitely be this one. These individuals are always in pursuit to "control the situation" and will constantly brag about all their accomplishments in creating "the largest beeper emporium" or whatever success they have had. They are generally very competitive and the only thing that matters is "being the best" and always striving to be number one.

7. Mr. Bone - Criminal Justice

"The rules are not made to be broken." "The criminal mind always set his own traps." These words couldn't be any more evident than coming from this man and the students in this major. This is the quintessential "by the book" authority figure who can always separate right from wrong and who makes it his or her life mission to bust any criminal they possibly can. Some say these people are just naturally paranoid, but they generally will always get to the bottom of a situation and follow up with REAL consequence.

8. Filbert from "Rocko's Modern Life" - Accounting

Not typically a “people person” in many senses of the word, they will often isolate themselves from the group to take a stab at completing the goal at hand on their own. This individual can be slightly "spastic" at times, but they are very focused on their work. "Turn the page, wash your hands…turn the page, wash your hands.” Most of these individuals have a clear goal in mind but don't want to get hung up on all the pleasantries that consume many of the business-related majors. This individual can come off "tightly wound" and is sometimes annoyed by outside disturbances or disruptive people. Best work environment: The Cubicle.

9. Arnold - Psychology

The students in this major for the most part are always searching for those individuals or outcasts that may have some deep rooted problem that they need to overcome. Not to say these individuals seek out "crazy people" on the daily, but they are generally always trying to delve into the psyche to explore the root of all problems someone may be having. They typically try to always be a good listener, and most of them rarely think irrationally about anything, or at least when they are trying to "help people." Sometimes these individuals can come off a little intrusive though and even annoying at times.

10. Susie Carmichael - Social Justice Studies

These students, much like Susie Carmichael, are always trying to stick up for "the little guy" against the stronger oppressor. They spend their lives trying to push for an equal share for everyone, even those considered "weaker." Many times they will come off a little controlling themselves though and need to be pulled back in, but they are very passionate about what they believe in and feel that they need to "make a change" and "make for a better society."

11. Gerald Johanssen - Marketing

This guy or girl will know EVERYBODY, is extremely outgoing and can virtually meet five new people every single day. They work to establish a network as big as NYC, with this individual’s sole purpose being to make as many connections as possible. The marketing major strives to help expand their brand or build stock in themselves as individuals in order to make themselves “a brand” in itself. Typically these people are very well-liked but many times will become too consumed with how people view them. They can often burn out very quickly.

12. Mr. Big Head - Journalism

This individual may come off to some as a “busy body,” but they always have the scoop on what is happening around them and in the lives of those around them. Many times these individuals may even be caught using a set of binoculars to get the scoop on what is happening with the neighbors and will broadcast it to the public even if the message is not well-received. People generally say this can turn out to be "the most hated profession in the world," but either way, journalism majors are generally very quick-witted and passionate about uncovering "the truth"... or at least the truth that they see.

13. Mr. Dink - Chemistry

This is a special kind of student who typically will major in chemistry. They are usually always focused on finding the bigger and better thing and seemingly always ahead of the curve. Often times they will be a little outside the box and unconventional with their ideas, and can even sometimes come off kind of “cooky.” For the most part, though, this individual has an extremely enthusiastic demeanor about whatever he or she is working on in the lab or out in the field and sometimes will have some of his resolutions “blow up in his face,” no pun intended.

14. Didi Pickles - Nursing

These individuals are just made for nursing. They are naturally very nurturing and are also responsible for keeping everyone "leveled out" and positive, even when they may hurt themselves or may need a pick me up. This individual in most cases is very supportive and offers to help 100% in any way possible, whether that is to help someone physically who may have injured themselves, or even to just help a completely erratic sleepwalker back to his bed.

15. Patrick - University Studies/Undecided

This individual is a free spirit through and through and most of the time has interests in many different subjects and topics! However, many times this individual will have absolutely NO IDEA what they want to do for the rest of their life, which can be a curse in disguise. Even though they are undecided on the path they want to take, they almost always seem relatively happy with their life and direction at any given time. An undecided major will generally be very fun-loving and easy to get along with and will never take life too seriously.

* * *

This is obviously not a "be all and end all" of which college majors "matter" or what those students are SUPPOSED to be like. Just like I stated previously, this is generally just a stereotype of many of those taking the specific major. But really, with so many similarities that develop these stereotypes, we have to wonder: Maybe these characterizations do hold at least SOME water.