Old-Fashioned Dating Needs To Make A Comeback

Old-fashioned needs to stop being "old-fashioned."

20
Lifebuzz

I like to think of myself as the self-proclaimed "therapist" among my group of friends, which includes advice on dating and relationships. I constantly hear horror stories of bad dates and awkward encounters including some of my own which really got me to thinking about old-fashioned dating and why it shouldn't be "old-fashioned."

I hate to preach, because all millennials dislike our elders speaking negatively about our generation, whether we're "lazy" or "babied" or whatever. However, if there's one thing our bad-mouthing predecessors point out that I have to agree with, it's our poor socializing skills. More specifically, our dating skills or lack thereof.

I wouldn't say this is true for everybody, because I know of people who are in serious relationships, but even that has become very scarce. Commitment and monogamy just isn't ideal to many of today's young adults, and people tend to even cringe the idea of a "date." A lot of individuals (especially college-aged) prefer to "hang out," which leaves a lot of questions regarding a person's intentions and their actual level of interest. It's just some thing to consider so you don't end up wasting your time if you're not on the same page.

I also have to agree that smartphones have really destroyed our communication skills. I recently went on a double date, and to put it in short, I've never wanted to leave a restaurant in the middle of dinner as much as I had that night. I understand nerves are present but conversation didn't flow, too many awkward silences occurred and we all became too preoccupied with our phones at one point. The two "gentlemen" didn't even offer a ride home to me and my friend. Luckily, it was a short walk, but that's just common courtesy.

I was horrified at how ill-mannered and unsocial our generation has become. Again, I don't believe this applies to everybody and I'm even guilty of heavy reliance on my phone, but what happened to the decades-old traditional dating where a respectable young man treats a young woman to an innocent and respectful night out with no expectations of sex in return?

Why is it that we're too afraid to love, let alone actually approach someone face-to-face instead of contacting that person through social media? Because it's easier? I suppose us millennials like to take the easy way out, but it'll only take us so far in life. I think old-fashioned dating should make a comeback. I think we just need to swallow our pride, and be more expressive of how we feel.