It Is OK To Struggle, Just Don't Lose Hope Along The Way
Education

We all get caught up in our own hardships and struggles, but losing hope isn't going to help you.

107

Lately, I've been struggling.

This is my second year of college, but when I moved away before to the university that I was attending, it seemed easier. It was only a 35-40 minute drive away from my house, I could come home really whenever I wanted because I wasn't too far away. That helped me a lot because as someone who loves to be around her family, the comfort of knowing that I was pretty close to home made a difference for me.

As much as I liked my school, I decided to take a step in a more career oriented direction. Transferring schools, to a bigger university - one of the best ones around for a Psychology major. Transferring schools however, meant moving further away from my home. My new school is about an hour and a half from my home. As excited as I was for my new start, I knew the transition wasn't going to be easy. I was right. Moving in was okay, I made it through and yes, I have been liking it so far. But that doesn't change the fact that I've been struggling.

The first day of classes, I got a text from my mom saying that she was proud of me and good luck on my first day, and as sweet as it was, it was my breaking point. I missed home so much, my mom especially. As soon as I read her text, I broke down into tears because the first day of classes at this new school meant that it was really happening. I was really here, starting classes, and that meant that I wasn't at my old school anymore.

I've continued to struggle in the past weeks that I've been here, however as much I've struggled during this time, I've kept going. I get up, go to class, I recently got a job, and I'm continuing. Losing my hope isn't going to make me successful, losing hope isn't going to help me in any way but push me behind.

I wrote this in a previous article, but my mom always taught me that it's okay to struggle, because struggle teaches you strength. I might be struggling but I am learning to be stronger than I was before and that's all that I can do. Struggles aren't weak, they make you stronger. After all, if there was no rain, there'd be no flowers.