Can We Blame CTE For O.J. Simpson's Criminal Past?

"Concussion" doctor Bennet Omalu is willing to bet so.

2670

If you were to consult Dr. Bennet Omalu, a renowned neurosurgeon whose scientific discoveries were recently portrayed in the 2015 film "Concussion," his answer would be "yes."

Dr. Omalu, who discovered and studied chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) in football players, recently came forward and said that he would “bet [his] medical license” that Simpson is affected by the condition. CTE is a form of brain trauma that results from repeated impacts to the head. It is most common in athletes who play contact sports, particularly football.

In his research, Omalu found that the symptoms of CTE include mostly behavioral changes, including “explosive, impulsive behavior, impaired judgment, mood disorders, and even criminality.” Though Omalu cannot personally test Simpson’s brain for CTE, Omalu based his assumption on observations of Simpson (and his knowledge of Simpson’s head traumas sustained from football), stating that it is “more likely than not” that Simpson is affected by CTE. Omalu cannot test Simpson for CTE now, as one can only be diagnosed posthumously; the test is performed on brain tissue after an individual has already died.

During his 11 years in the NFL, it is no surprise that Simpson sustained thousands of blows to the head. Within the course of a single football game, many players suffer painful cranial impacts, the effects of which accumulate over time, according to Omalu.

Though there is insufficient evidence to claim that CTE directly causes poor or maladaptive behavior, there are correlations between those affected and the choices they make later on. Simpson, who was acquitted in his criminal trial for the murders of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ron Goldman, was later charged for armed robbery and kidnapping. Simpson once tried to use concussions in order to receive a new trial after being convicted of armed robbery, but was turned down.

After the premiere of "Concussion" in December 2015, many people have begun to question the long-term safety of football. It is important to consider the health concerns the sport entails; however, some believe that it will be difficult for any medical discovery to topple the NFL empire and influence one of America’s most popular entertainment sources. Omalu worries that Americans’ "intoxication with football” has resulted in widespread “delusional denial" about just how serious this problem is. How much are we willing to risk — or watch others risk — in order to maintain our Sundays spent on the sofa?