Odyssey

Odyssey's Facebook Page Is Problematic, And It Needs To Change

It is time for a face lift.

132
blogger

Odyssey is honestly a wonderful site for students to share their opinions, their stories and ideas they are passionate about. I read so many countless articles by people and have been blown away by their passion and strength. However, so many of those articles get buried underneath articles that only cause conflict, arguments and quite frankly are articles that those at headquarters know will bring in hundreds of thousands of views.

While these articles are these people's opinions and passion, we constantly see on Odyssey's Facebook page the same 20 articles posted weekly with a few new ones sprinkled in between those articles. I am not sure how many more times I will see the prom dress article, yeti butts, why you should not wear yoga pants to class, or that one "New Girl" drinking game. I get it though, those articles will get viewed, will cause engagement, and will stir up the pot. That is honestly what sells in today's society. Controversy sells, a division between people sells, and that is what will get Odyssey the views it needs.

There are over 3,000 people writing content for Odyssey. That is even more articles being written by individuals, but we still see the same 20 articles shared by Odyssey's Facebook, written by people who may not even write for Odyssey anymore. When I do see new articles pop-up, it is a breath of fresh air, but a few hours later, the prom dress article pops up again. Over 3,000 voices weekly that are not being recognized, but articles from 2015 are still being shared what seems like once per week.

I know they cannot post every single article that is written, that's not physically possible. I know they do need to be selective of what they post to their page, that applies to any business. They need revenue to keep the website going, to be able to let people like me voice their opinions, their stories and passions. And it is on us, the writers to promote our own work on our social media, to push it to get views. It is our responsibility to get our voice to be heard and let those in our communities be heard.

Majority of the readers, however, only view the Facebook page. They don't dive into the website as so many writers do. They judge Odyssey as a whole based on those few articles that do make it to the Facebook page. Some readers do not even realize how the Odyssey actually works. They do not realize there are over 3,000 college age writers that are voicing their opinions. They don't understand why Odyssey publishes an article to their Facebook page that leans one way, then the next day posting an article that leans the other way. Some readers think it is just a small team writing articles that will just stir up trouble, not 3,000 writers that have their own ideas and could not know what each other writes about.

I do love writing for the Odyssey despite all of this. It has allowed me to have a space to give my thoughts, opinions, and a place to let me put out emotions I have held on for so long. I am sure the 3,000 other writers would agree with that. It has built so many communities and allowed people from all walks of life to come together to let us begin to understand each other. Odyssey means a lot to me, as it does to other writers. It has its faults though, as everything on this planet does. Nothing is without its faults, but it is up to a business to decide if they want to explore their faults or continue on down the same path they are currently going.

So please Odyssey, look into the so many unique articles that we as writers produce. Step out of the safety of these articles that constantly stir up controversy and hatred in the comment of the Facebook posts. Look at the countless other articles that are relatable to a vast amount of communities. Look at all the different cultures, hobbies, fandoms, schools, and life that makes up what Odyssey has become today. I want to see Odyssey's Facebook page become full of like and new content. It can fill the Facebook page full of life and different experiences, but I get it, yeti butts will always get the views no matter how old it is.