Odyssey Is The Family I Never Knew I Needed

I've made lifelong friends-- and a whole new family.

9
Erin Marston

One day as I scrolled through Facebook, I came across an article from Odyssey. Inside the article was a link—“Have YOUR Voice Heard.” So, curiosity got the best of me and I clicked it, read the qualifications and signed up. Within two days, I had met all of these great people that I never knew I needed. I’ve been with Odyssey since August 2016. I am the first to admit that 2016 might have been one of my worst years but I am also the first to admit that Odyssey was one of the best parts. I’ve gone through so much and my Odyssey team has been there through it all.

Odyssey at Missouri Southern State is a small tight-knit group full of characters and I’m so glad we have each other. We take care of each other through everything and fight like siblings (that’s how you know it’s real). We get out of bed in the freezing cold at 11:30pm to check on each other. If one of us is sad, we call each other instantly to make sure everything is okay. We have each other’s backs when family life is rough or even downright devastating. We give each other crap for mistakes we’ve made, and protected each other fiercely. We’ve been there for the highs and the really low (seriously, even when I’m puking, they’re there). We hug, snuggle, party, and cry together. We keep each other in check, and tell each other that it’s okay to be a little stupid sometimes. Deep conversations about depression and religion change into conversations about lightsabers and The Bee Movie in an instant. Honestly, it’s probably a little strange to look at but that’s okay.

These strange, silly, maddening, and imperfect people make my heart so happy and I can’t imagine life without them. So, thank you Odyssey, for showing me what true family does for each other, even when they don’t need to. I love you guys.