Thank You, Odyssey

Thank You, Odyssey

Being a member of the platform has been a privilege and I am forever grateful.

8
Thank You, Odyssey

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

I will admit that I do get sad when an opportunity so meaningful comes to a close. But regardless, I also look back at it and usually find myself appreciating every moment of it.

Over a year ago, I finally figured out what my passion was. I never knew it until I began attending college, but I loved to write and I found myself getting good at it. Yet, I was only writing opinionated newspaper articles for my university as well as essays for my classes. I felt that it wasn't enough. I wanted another opportunity - one where I can create content while expressing myself and the things in life that matter to me.

In March of 2016, I was given the opportunity to join the Odyssey community of Bridgewater State University as what was called a "Writer" at the time (the title of the position has since changed to "Content Creator"). 10 months doesn't sound like a very long time, but in the five sixths of a year that I have been a member of the community, I've been through so much. This includes personal growth in writing and content creating, promotions in community roles, and changes on the Odyssey platform that were tough to get used to but did improve its overall appearance and organization.

As a Writer/Content Creator for Odyssey at Bridgewater State University, I have indeed been able to write about what is important to me. I've used the platform to write open letters to my parents, my best friends from home, and anyone that is important to me. I've told the story of how my life changed since discovering my previously mentioned writing passion. I've attempted to give some advice to other college students and anyone that can relate to the issues that I face. I've practiced my journalistic skills with a few news articles. I've written reviews about some of the biggest movies of 2016. I've elaborated on some random ideas that I've had.

Odyssey has not only given me the privilege of uniquely using my voice, but it has also given me the opportunity to edit and publish the works. Two months into my journey with the platform, I was given the opportunity to become Editor in Chief of the community of Bridgewater State University, a position that I accepted with pride and honor. In my experience with the big position, I have been able to listen to the voices of other community members that all have amazing stories to tell. I have gained experience in editing and approving content. In this position, I've met and befriended so many talented people that contribute to the platform; they have all taught me a lot and have helped me get to where I am today.

My experience with Odyssey has been quite a lot of hard work and dedication. It has also had its up and downs, but I know I wouldn't change a thing and I will never forget it. I regret to state that I intend to step down from my position as an Editor in Chief and Content Creator. While my run with the platform has treated me so well, I am still a 20 year old college students that is still growing and seeking opportunities. My college career is going to be half over after this semester; before I know it, my time will be up and I will not be satisfied with my experience. There are so many other things I want to try, such as Greek Life. I have also been considering joining a literature writing club and organizations pertaining to my interests. The options to broaden my time in school are endless and I only have so much time to take advantage of them.

This may or may not be my final article; I may still have a couple things I'd like to jot down. Either way, I wanted to take the time to say thank you. Thank you to the dozens and dozens of Content Creators I have created with. Thank you to my Managing Editor for teaching me what it takes to be a good leader. Thank you to those that have read my articles, especially those that have read them on a consistent basis. Without any of you, this opportunity wouldn't have been what it actually was. I intend to continue my attempts to amaze you all with what I do in life.