A Thank You Letter To Odyssey

A Thank You Letter To Odyssey

What I thought would just be another résumé booster quickly became so much more.

124
https://www.pexels.com/photo/fashion-legs-notebook-working-5279/

I began writing for Odyssey as a sophomore in college. I hadn't involved myself in many organizations and I hadn't quite figured out exactly what I wanted to do with my life yet. Through Odyssey, I found a love for writing that I had never known. I met other students that inspired me and challenged me every single day. I started to see the value in my words and the importance of sharing those words with others. I started to believe in myself. After publishing articles with Odyssey for about two years, I received an email informing me that I had been chosen to serve as the President of Odyssey at Florida State University.

To all of the people that I have met through this experience, thank you. To the woman and friend who asked me if I was interested in applying as a writer, thank you for pushing me to step outside of my own little bubble and try something new. To my advisor and mentor, thank you for choosing me to lead this community and for seeing something in me that I had yet to see in myself. Thank you for teaching me how to be a better leader and person. To the women who have served in leadership positions in this organization alongside me, thank you for all of the hours that you have spent making our little community one that feels like home (and for dealing with my mini-freakouts from time to time). To all of my writers, thank you for sharing your words with the world. Anyone can sit down and write something, but when you have something to say and you aren't afraid to say it, that's an entirely different level of vulnerability. Each and every one of you has immense talent and creativity, and it has taught me something new every single day. Thank you for not only sharing your writing with me but also your lives. To the person that serves as the next President of this community, soak it in every single day. This community and these people will change your life. Whoever you are, I can't wait to watch you shine as you lead the FSU community to bigger and better things.

As someone who has an opinion on everything and always has something to say, it's a rare thing for me when I just can't find the right words. There just simply aren't enough of them to properly thank the most amazing team that I have ever been a part of. Being a part of Odyssey molded me into the writer that I have become, and the English teacher that I will soon be. I am endlessly grateful for the amount of growth, both personal and intellectual, that I have experienced through this leadership position, and although I'm saddened that my time is coming to an end, I know that the people that I have met and the opportunities that I have been lucky enough to experience will stay with me forever.