I Don't Know How To Say Goodbye To Odyssey

I have gone through my hardest and best times while being a writer and runner of this community.

109

I started writing for Odyssey because I missed being creative and having an outlet that allowed me to think and work through every emotion. I started writing for Odyssey because I read my fellow writer, Grace's article about loving where her feet were at and I resonated with it deeply. I realized that I wanted to write articles that people could relate to and feel like they weren't alone.

When I decided to write for Odyssey, I didn't want my last name on anything. I wanted to go by my first and middle name and to not be recognized. But Odyssey had a different plan. My last name is on everything I write and everyone on my Facebook feed sees an article from me about once a week. I wouldn't change my experience with Odyssey for the world.

I have gone through my hardest and best times while being a writer and runner of this community. I have been able to share the deepest parts of myself that I sometimes don't even share with close friends. I have been inspired every day by how other writers see the world and I have, strangely enough, wowed myself at the angst and love that can flow through these fingers.

It is bittersweet to leave Odyssey for the time being because I don't know how to say goodbye. Anyone who spends time with me often sees me writing or editing others articles (sometimes in class, sorry parentals). I am sad to not have this outlet and sad to leave all the badass women who have fought with me and for me to share my voice. It is also sweet to leave because it means I have the first 2.5 years of my college life documented and I will have forever friends and role models.

How do you say goodbye to something that fulfilled you more than you could have ever thought?

I don't know how to say goodbye to something that is so heavily a part of my identity. I don't know how to say goodbye to the outlet that has helped me through the hardest times. I also don't know what I will do with this little bit of extra time that I always wanted to give to my creators.

My first article was about home being where the heart is and Odyssey will forever be my home and the place where I learned that my voice and my story mattered.