An Ode To March

An Ode To March

April showers may bring May flowers, but what about March?
423

Dear March,

When I was in high school,

I used to overlook you.

March was just another month

at the end of a dreary winter.

But now I've realized,

you deserve more praise.

The arrival of March means

a time for celebrations.

It means Shamrock shakes and St. Patrick's festivities.

It means people decked out in green,

while drinking questionable green beverages.

It means Pi Day,

an excuse for pie lovers to stuff their faces.

It also means Easter,

a chance for Christians to spend time with family,

and gorge on baked ham and chocolate eggs

while commemorating the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

It means the Spring Equinox and the Persian New Year.

It means National Women's History Month

and the International Day of Happiness.

Of course, March is also associated with

college spring break, students flocking to

tropical places and drinking the week away

while enjoying a break from classes.

Although you take away an hour of my sleep,

thank you, March, for the additional hours of sunshine

that you give us through Daylight Saving.

And thank you for the official first day of spring, hallelujah.

They say April showers bring May flowers,

but here in North Carolina,

March deserves the credit for starting the blossoming.

March, you're great because

we can start pulling shorts out of our drawers

on occasional warm days and get excited for the

approach of summer.

Thank you for reminding me that

I'm almost through with the semester.

I can do it.

More importantly, you're one of the best months

because of March Madness.

Brackets, basketball games, beers, and friendly competition:

thank you, March, for this.

I used to think you were a boring month,

simply another 31 days of winter.

But now I realize you are great,

so, March, here's my praise for you.

Cover Image Credit: mmesiversky.files.wordpress.com

​An Open Letter To The People Who Don’t Tip Their Servers

This one's for you.
1487599

Dear Person Who Has No Idea How Much The 0 In The “Tip:" Line Matters,

I want to by asking you a simple question: Why?

Is it because you can't afford it? Is it because you are blind to the fact that the tip you leave is how the waiter/waitress serving you is making their living? Is it because you're just lazy and you “don't feel like it"?

Is it because you think that, while taking care of not only your table but at least three to five others, they took too long bringing you that side of ranch dressing? Or is it just because you're unaware that as a server these people make $2.85 an hour plus TIPS?

The average waiter/waitress is only supposed to be paid $2.13 an hour plus tips according to the U.S. Department of Labor.

That then leaves the waiter/waitress with a paycheck with the numbers **$0.00** and the words “Not a real paycheck." stamped on it. Therefore these men and women completely rely on the tips they make during the week to pay their bills.

So, with that being said, I have a few words for those of you who are ignorant enough to leave without leaving a few dollars in the “tip:" line.

Imagine if you go to work, the night starts off slow, then almost like a bomb went off the entire workplace is chaotic and you can't seem to find a minute to stop and breathe, let alone think about what to do next.

Imagine that you are helping a total of six different groups of people at one time, with each group containing two to 10 people.

Imagine that you are working your ass off to make sure that these customers have the best experience possible. Then you cash them out, you hand them a pen and a receipt, say “Thank you so much! It was a pleasure serving you, have a great day!"

Imagine you walk away to attempt to start one of the 17 other things you need to complete, watch as the group you just thanked leaves, and maybe even wave goodbye.

Imagine you are cleaning up the mess that they have so kindly left behind, you look down at the receipt and realize there's a sad face on the tip line of a $24.83 bill.

Imagine how devastated you feel knowing that you helped these people as much as you could just to have them throw water on the fire you need to complete the night.

Now, realize that whenever you decide not to tip your waitress, this is nine out of 10 times what they go through. I cannot stress enough how important it is for people to realize that this is someone's profession — whether they are a college student, a single mother working their second job of the day, a new dad who needs to pay off the loan he needed to take out to get a safer car for his child, your friend, your mom, your dad, your sister, your brother, you.

If you cannot afford to tip, do not come out to eat. If you cannot afford the three alcoholic drinks you gulped down, plus your food and a tip do not come out to eat.

If you cannot afford the $10 wings that become half-off on Tuesdays plus that water you asked for, do not come out to eat.

If you cannot see that the person in front of you is working their best to accommodate you, while trying to do the same for the other five tables around you, do not come out to eat. If you cannot realize that the man or woman in front of you is a real person, with their own personal lives and problems and that maybe these problems have led them to be the reason they are standing in front of you, then do not come out to eat.

As a server myself, it kills me to see the people around me being deprived of the money that they were supposed to earn. It kills me to see the three dollars you left on a $40 bill. It kills me that you cannot stand to put yourself in our shoes — as if you're better than us. I wonder if you realize that you single-handedly ruined part of our nights.

I wonder if maybe one day you will be in our shoes, and I hope to God no one treats you how you have treated us. But if they do, then maybe you'll realize how we felt when you left no tip after we gave you our time.