An Ode To March

An Ode To March

April showers may bring May flowers, but what about March?
423

Dear March,

When I was in high school,

I used to overlook you.

March was just another month

at the end of a dreary winter.

But now I've realized,

you deserve more praise.

The arrival of March means

a time for celebrations.

It means Shamrock shakes and St. Patrick's festivities.

It means people decked out in green,

while drinking questionable green beverages.

It means Pi Day,

an excuse for pie lovers to stuff their faces.

It also means Easter,

a chance for Christians to spend time with family,

and gorge on baked ham and chocolate eggs

while commemorating the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

It means the Spring Equinox and the Persian New Year.

It means National Women's History Month

and the International Day of Happiness.

Of course, March is also associated with

college spring break, students flocking to

tropical places and drinking the week away

while enjoying a break from classes.

Although you take away an hour of my sleep,

thank you, March, for the additional hours of sunshine

that you give us through Daylight Saving.

And thank you for the official first day of spring, hallelujah.

They say April showers bring May flowers,

but here in North Carolina,

March deserves the credit for starting the blossoming.

March, you're great because

we can start pulling shorts out of our drawers

on occasional warm days and get excited for the

approach of summer.

Thank you for reminding me that

I'm almost through with the semester.

I can do it.

More importantly, you're one of the best months

because of March Madness.

Brackets, basketball games, beers, and friendly competition:

thank you, March, for this.

I used to think you were a boring month,

simply another 31 days of winter.

But now I realize you are great,

so, March, here's my praise for you.

Cover Image Credit: mmesiversky.files.wordpress.com

10 Things I Threw Out AFTER Freshman Year Of College

Guess half the stuff on your packing list doesn't really matter
326514

I spent the entire summer before my freshman year of college so WORRIED.

I also spent most of my money that summer on miscellaneous dorm stuff. I packed the car when the time finally came to move in, and spent the drive up excited and confused about what the heck was actually going on.

Freshman year came and went, and as I get ready to go back to school in just a few short weeks (!!), I'm starting to realize there's just a whole bunch of crap I just don't need.

After freshman year, I threw out:

1. Half my wardrobe.

I don't really know what I was thinking of owning 13 sweaters and 25 T-shirts in the first place. I wear the same five T-shirts until I magically find a new one that I probably got for free, and I put on jeans maybe four times. One pair is enough.

2. Half my makeup.

Following in the theme of #1, if I put on makeup, it's the same eyeliner-mascara combination as always. Sometimes I spice it up and add lipstick or eyeshadow.

3. My vacuum.

One, I basically never did it. Two, if I REALLY needed to vacuum, dorms rent out cleaning supplies.

4. Most of my photos from high school.

I didn't throw them ALL away, but most of them won't be making a return to college. Things change, people change, your friends change. And that's okay.

5. Excess school supplies.

Binders are heavy and I am lazy. I surprisingly didn't lose that many pens, so I don't need the fifty pack anymore. I could probably do without the crayons.

6. Cups/Plates/Bowls/Silverware.

Again, I am lazy. I cannot be bothered to wash dishes that often. I'll stick to water bottles and maybe one coffee cup. Paper plates/bowls can always be bought, and plastic silverware can always be stolen from different places on campus.

7. Books.

I love to read, but I really don't understand why I thought I'd have the time to actually do it. I think I read one book all year, and that's just a maybe.

8. A sewing kit.

I don't even know how to sew.

9. Excessive decorations.

It's nice to make your space feel a little more cozy, but not every inch of the wall needs to be covered.

10. Throw pillows.

At night, these cute little pillows just got tossed to the floor, and they'd sit there for days if I didn't make my bed.