An Ode To A Lazy Sunday At Washington & Lee

Brought to you by a girl battling the Sunday scaries.

12
Pexels.com

3:54 a.m.

Ow, you think, as you stumble over the pile of clothes that has been growing in the middle of your floor over the past week. Must get water. Immediately.

7:37 a.m.

The first early-bird is up and at ‘em already. You hear her puttering around the hall and wish with all of your might that she would, please, silence her phone so that you don’t also have to listen to the Snapchat stories from last night that she’s catching up on.

9:30 a.m.

"What time does Kind Roots open today?" someone yells from the bathroom. "Not until 11," another girl chirps from just outside your door. "Oh dear," you sigh. "They are coming for me. Should I pretend to be asleep, or do I welcome them into my room? Onto my bed. So that I can hear about the latest news from the party and the latest drama about the boy who is always too hot or too cold."

9:46 a.m.

You have finally checked all of your social media apps, tossing likes on Instagram generously because, hey, it’s Sunday. Amen. You’ve engaged one of your friends who is currently sitting on your legs (ow) in a Stop game, and you think to yourself, "Hey! At least I’m starting the day off right with a brain-stimulating word game."

10:50 a.m.

You’ve wiped the makeup from under your eyes, twisted your hair into what looks like a rat’s nest upon your head, and you’re en route to Kind Roots where you’ll devour at least three entrees and still feel like the epitome of health. Sunday scaries? Not today.

11:48 a.m.

Oh man. It’s hitting you. There it is. The combination of last night’s festivities and the overwhelming stress about the work that has been crumpled in the bottom of your backpack all weekend. You pop two Advil and crawl into your friend’s mega-bed with three others, determined to nap for only an hour.

1:42 p.m.

There you have it. The perfect example of a nap gone wrong. Or oh so right, as the case may be today. Rather than peel yourself from your cozy spot, you suggest a third watching of Beyonce’s “Lemonade,” and everyone agrees that it must happen, that homework and real-people responsibilities are just not in the cards at this moment.

4:00 p.m.

You are first in line for dinner. And it’s gonna be a good one tonight, everyone. Pizza, pasta, garlic bread,and French fries. The perfect combination of grease and carbs that will rejuvenate you for the long night of arduous studies that lies ahead. To make things better? There is a “Law and Order: SVU” marathon on USA, and you’ve been missing Olivia Benson for awhile. You post up and tune in with your girls, wishing you’d gotten more food before you returned to your house.

5:30 p.m.

You think about going to the gym. Hey, it’s the thought that counts, right?

8:13 p.m.

"Who wants to go to Sheetz?" Nothing sounds better than a salted pretzel with nacho cheese dipping sauce. You and your squad mosey on over, continuing the incessant procrastination that has characterized today.

9:00 p.m.

After you finally hop in the shower, you set up your study space. Laptop. Water bottle. Green tea. Notebook. Pen. Highlighter. Reading assignment for tomorrow. Nothing can stop you now.

9:24 p.m.

Does anyone wanna watch “The People versus O.J.” and order Dominos? And yes, you do.