I Am From...

I Am From...

An ode to my family

6
I Am From...
Essi Tolling

I am from a big family filled with drama and conflict, but also with love and support.

I am from a Grandma who makes the best scotcheroo bars in the world, and who gives warm hugs filled with love.

I am from a Grandpa who has the funniest laugh, and loves describing memories of funny times, good times, and hard times.

I am from a Mom who scrapbooks, collects antique vases, and loves decorating for Christmas. She taught me how to be strong in times of adversity, and she has always supported me.

I am from a Dad who loves hunting and fishing every year, who is extremely intelligent and works hard, and who adopted my family and loved me like his own.

I am from an older brother with whom I have been through a lot. He loves cars, watching Star Wars, and eating mac-n-cheese. He is the most loyal friend anyone could have.

I am from family game nights and movie nights with Mom's delicious homemade popcorn.

I am from stealing my brother’s toys as a child to stealthily eating my Mom’s chocolate chip cookie dough.

I am from a love of food –- especially dessert!

I am from getting lost in the pages of a book for hours without a break. The book world always seemed more interesting than the one I was living in, and reading was an escape from stressful times.

I am from perfecting little things, even myself, because otherwise I feel unsettled and unsatisfied.

I am from feeling like I am not good enough; this just makes me work even harder.

I am from diligence, determination, and compassion.

I am from struggling to accept who I am.

I am me.