October

10 Reasons Why October Is The Best Month Of The Year

From apple-picking to trick-or-treating, October is full of things to do and see.

398
Apple Orchard
Andrew Mosier

It's no surprise that October is a magical month. With the leaves beginning to turn every shade of amber and gold and the nights growing longer and full of spooks, October has been revered as one of the best months in the year. I'm here to tell you exactly why October is the best month of them all.

1. It's officially sweater weather. 

Carlton Dance

Is there anything better than breaking out your favorite over-sized sweater or fall coat once the temperature drops? If there is, I have yet to discover it. For now, it's time to find that perfect balance between staying warm and staying cute to match the best weather of all seasons!

2. Autumnal drinks and snacks come back. 

All I Care About Is Pumpkin Spice And Like 2 People

Head to your local Starbucks or another favorite cafe to pick up some fall tastes! Whether it's a pumpkin spice latte or a caramel apple, there is a drink or a snack for everyone to enjoy while they go strolling beneath the changing trees!

3. Apple orchards and pumpkin patches are open for business. 

Pumpkin Patch from Charlie Brown

Beloved by ages young and old, apple orchards and pumpkin patches are among some of the best places to visit during October. Go with your friends, your family, or that special someone to pick some apples and pumpkins, try some apple cider donuts, and spend some quality time together!

4. It's the perfect time to catch up on some spooky shows and movies.

Janice and Damian Scared

It's been sitting in your Netflix watch-list for months: that one spooky show or movie that you just can't bring yourself to watch yet. Why? The time hasn't been right, or you haven't been in the mood. Well, bust out your laptop, because October is the perfect time to catch up on that chilling series you've been meaning to start! Whether it's the latest season of "American Horror Story" or a new addition to Netflix's endless list of horror movies, it's time to binge-watch.

5. October is full of new book releases. 

Belle at the Bookstore

For all of the bookworms out there, October is a month teeming with new book releases! From the spellbinding next installments in your favorite series to a spooky new novel, there's something for everyone to dive into. Keep an eye on Goodreads for all of the new releases coming this October!

6. 31 Nights of Halloween is back. 

Sanderson Sisters at the Bus

Sorry, Andy Williams. October is the most wonderful time of the year, not December, and that is because of a little thing I like to call Freeform's 31 Nights of Halloween. Formerly 13 Nights of Halloween, 31 Nights begins on October 1st, playing classic Halloween movies each and every day! I don't know about you, but watching Hocus Pocus every day through to Halloween seems like time well spent to me.

7. Cheesy Halloween specials and Disney Channel movies make their annual return.

Halloweentown Jack-O-Lantern

No matter what your favorite TV show was growing up, chances were it had a Halloween special and a memorable one at that. I mean, was anything funnier to us as tweens when Spencer forgot to buy candy for the trick-or-treaters on "iCarly?" Regardless, October marks the return of all our favorite Halloween specials and Disney Channel movies. "Halloweentown," here we come.

8. More reasons to decorate your dorm room. 

Homer Simpson with Jack-O-Lanterns

There's a particular thrill to decorating your dorm room to fit the aesthetic of the season. Decorating in general is always really fun, and especially for Halloween! Stores and shops are full of decorations that you and your roommate can easily stock up on to turn your tiny dorm room into your own haunted (but very aesthetically pleasing) house!

9. Bonfires, hayrides, haunted houses, and more!

Marshmallows Roasting

On UIUC's campus alone, there are so many things to check out in October! Whether it's a bonfire with the October Lovers Club or a field trip to Horror Nights at Six Flags, there's something for everyone to do. Round up your friends and go check them out!

10. And of course...Halloween!

Dancing Pumpkin Guy

While Halloween starts on October 1st in my opinion, nothing beats the holiday itself at the end of the month. Put together your costume, go trick-or-treating, head to a party, or stay in and watch horror movies! There's something for everyone on this spookiest of holidays. And if you've heard enough of the "Monster Mash" or "This Is Halloween" for the year, don't worry, Christmas songs are right around the corner.

What are some of your October plans?