Ocean's 8 Review

Ocean's 8 is a 10

...out of 10

48
Ocean's 8 is a 10
@oceans8movie Instagram

SPOILER ALERT:

I don't know about you, but I am getting tired of sequels. They are nice for a while, but then the industry just starts to milk the movies for profits and ruins them. It seems like there is no new original content coming out, with Marvel destroying the Box Office, and Star Wars continuing on its 40-year journey, I just want to see something different!

While that tiny rant is how I truly feel, Ocean's 8 was an exception. It is a sequel to the wonderful Ocean's movies (11, 12, and 13), it was clearly nothing like the others because it was an all-new, star-studded cast of women. Danny Ocean is in the Past and now Debbie Ocean is here to save the day...or more like steal 150 million dollars.

Sandra Bullock as always does not disappoint with her performance as Debbie Ocean. She is the clever mastermind behind the plan to steal 150 million dollars worth of diamonds at the annual MET gala. They have special celebrities playing those who got invited to the MET Ball and showed magnificent dresses. I have always dreamed of going to the MET gala and seeing the jewels and gowns this only heightened that wish. The jewels in question, however, are apart of a necklace that is to be around a widely known celebrity Daphne Kluger's (Anne Hathaway) neck; the only trick is getting it swapped and out without her or anyone else noticing. Easy peasy tight? She recruits seven other women to play key roles in pulling off this impossible heist, including Cate Blanchett, Mindy Kaling and Helena Bonham Carter.

Helena Bonham Carter is brilliant in everything I have seen her in, and she continues to keep her reputation in this film, she is awkward and a little sad, but her quirks make you chuckle throughout the whole movie. I have never related to a character more than when she was sitting on the floor in the corner eating straight out of a tub of Nutella or when she is trying to hide her anxiety and nerves with fidgeting and talking randomly. It was great fun watching her!

The thing I loved the most about this movie is that it showed strong and intelligent females without men, but did not shove it down your throat. They made the work of women seem natural and effortless, instead of making women appear overly masculine to compensate for not having men in the main cast. It was especially fun because it made the story new. If another sequel had come out with the same Danny ocean and the gang, I would have rolled my eyes and tossed it to the curb with all the other ruined sequels, but the new shiny cast made the movie unique and intriguing enough to get me to buy a ticket.

Though the cast was predominantly female, there were some male counterparts, and maybe I am biased, but James Cordon was my favorite. He was only on the screen for a few minutes in the end, but he made me laugh out loud more times than the rest of the movie combined! I was so happy to see him pop up, and hope to see him pop up in other movies soon!

There is much more to say about this movie, but I would rather you see it yourself and enjoy as I have; it's not fun when someone spoils all the secrets.