How To Know When You Should See An OB/GYN

If you think you need to go, then this is your sign to set up an appointment.

28

Nobody likes going to the doctors, the dentist, etc., but if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, I'd say they are worth getting checked out by a professional.

1. If things don’t smell right down there

Sure, sometimes after a really sweaty workout session you might be smelling a little funky. However, if you have a strong, lingering, and truly unpleasant odor then it's probably time to seek out a professional opinion. Nasty smells can be a sign of unhealthy bacteria or an STI, so it's a good idea to get that checked out before it gets worse.

2. If things don’t feel right down there

If you start to feel incredibly itchy, irritated, inflamed, sharp pains, or a burning sensation below the belt, I highly suggest hitting up your local OB/GYN. Those could be symptoms of various infections, STDs, STIs, or other health problems. Don't wait for those things to go away on their own because chances are they won't.

3. If your tatas have a lump, bump, or other sort of unusual hump

Sometimes people get benign cysts or other little skin pop-ups, and that's all fine and dandy, but other times things are more serious, so it's important to get any mysterious masses checked out ASAP. This is especially important for anyone who has a history of cancer in their family, even if it wasn't necessarily breast cancer.

4) If you want to go on birth control

Believe it or not, there's absolutely nothing wrong with going on birth control, even if you're not sexually active. If you have irregular periods, would like to start skipping your periods, or just want to be prepared for the day that you might eventually need it, birth control can be helpful during all of those instances. It's important to discuss your options and the pros and cons of each option though. Because, believe me there's usually more to it than what your 10th grade health class taught you.

5) If you want to!

If you have never been to an OB/GYN before, or it's been a very, very, very long time since you've seen one, then it's probably a good idea to go see one. There's never an age that's "too early" or "too late" to start seeing one, but it's probably a good idea to start seeing one once you've started your period or once you have become sexually active. Plus, it never hurts to check and make sure that you're not harboring any pesky STDs.

Just some words of advice! Make sure to check out my other articles.