Obama-accomplishments

Obama-accomplishments

1

Years in office (first term and second term): 2009-2016

Political party: Democratic

Foreign policy:

• Ended the Iraq War and destroyed the core of al-Qaeda leadership, Osama Bin Laden
  • Added drone aircraft to the War on Terror
  • Worked together with P5+1, a group of six countries that joined together to end the nuclear program in Iran
  • Tried to negotiate free trade in Transpacific and Transatlantic
  • Domestic Policy:
    • Let’s Move campaign by Michelle Obama
    • Joining Forces initiative to encourage enrollment into the military
    • 1 is 2 Many initiative that addresses campus rape scandals
    • Reach Higher initiative that encourages youth to finish school and manage their own future
    • Startup America embraces entrepreneurs in their endeavors
    • Supreme Court Cases:
      • Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission: Against Obama’s wishes, Supreme Court ruled that the government cannot restrict spending by corporations for political campaigns. This would violate the First Amendment right to support candidates as they choose. Obama declared this a victory for Wall Street and Big Business.
      • National Federation of Independent Business v. Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Health and Human Services: The Supreme Court upheld most of Obama’s healthcare law, including the individual mandate which states that most Americans must buy health insurance or pay a fine. This also expanded the Medicaid Program.
      • Shelby County v. Holder: The Supreme Court struck down Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act, which established a formula for Congress to use when determining if a state or voting jurisdiction requires prior approval before changing its voting laws. Currently under Section 5 of the act nine—mostly Southern—states with a history of discrimination must get clearance from Congress before changing voting rules to make sure racial minorities are not negatively affected.