Oasis' Breakup Was For The Best

Oasis' Breakup Was For The Best

It just wasn't the same anymore
26

Oasis. You think of the song “Wonderwall” when you hear that name, especially in the United States. The rest of this band’s work has flown under the radar for most. The Britpop heavyweights have an incredibly deep catalog highlighted by the albums (What’s the Story) Morning Glory? and Definitely Maybe. The band has sold over 75 million records worldwide and have established themselves as icons of the British music scene in the 1990s.

However, the band split up in 2009, and it is clear that they will not reunite anytime soon. This may be for the best because there was significant turmoil within the band before they broke up, and it seems like the situation can never be mended.

The centerpiece of Oasis has always been the duo of Liam and Noel Gallagher. These brothers were known for their righteous attitudes as much as their music. In addition to being the lead guitarist and backing vocalist, Noel was also the band’s primary songwriter and wrote many songs that became staples like “Live Forever,” “Don’t Look Back in Anger” and the aforementioned “Wonderwall.” As Oasis’ frontman, Liam’s gritty snarl enhanced his brother’s songs and gave them an extra dash of edge. His voice and Noel’s songs were a match made in heaven.

The band ultimately broke up in 2009 minutes before a show in Paris, France when Liam allegedly broke one of Noel’s guitars and Noel subsequently left. The Gallagher brothers moved on to solo careers in the aftermath of the breakup.

There are several reasons why Oasis’ breakup was best for their fans. First of all, Liam’s voice declined significantly over the years to the point where he lost his distinctive singing style. He lost his trademark snarl in live performances and he was not often in tune in the latter half of the band’s career.

In addition, Noel developed as a singer. As the band neared its end, he possessed a remarkable ability to sing powerfully and in tune that still holds up for him today. He had the potential to front a band himself, and he is currently doing so with his solo project, Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds.

Many fans were not pleased with Oasis’ last few albums and many of them felt that the magic was gone. The brothers were also not getting along with each other on their final tour and reportedly only spoke to each other directly onstage. They did not have the energy to enjoy making music together any longer like they did in the 1990s. The Gallaghers got into many quarrels with each other throughout their history, but the aforementioned incident in Paris was the final straw.

Oasis were slated to play only two more shows on their tour, but Noel’s departure forced the band’s management to cancel them. Continuing the band would likely have only resulted in more tension and arguments between the Gallagher brothers.

Oasis was an exciting band for their fans during their time, but it is clear that Liam and Noel Gallagher are pleasing their respective fan bases with their solo careers and there is not much need for them to get back together.