NYC Restaurants: Which Ones Are Worth All The Hype

Your go-to guide to eight of the most popular restaurants in NYC

39
Samantha Abrahami

"Food Instagrams" have seemingly become an overnight sensation, with new accounts popping up for each major city across the nation and even the world. A food (or foodie) Instagram is exactly what it sounds like, an Instagram dedicated to taking pictures of your delicacies and posting them for the world to see. One particular Instagram, New_Fork_City, has over 600,000 followers and is run by three Instagram users, Gillian Presto, Emily Morse, and Natalie Landsberg. With the help of the Instagram community, New_Fork_City updates the residents of New York on the best and most trendy restaurants to eat at. Unfortunately, not every restaurant lives up to the hype that the city creates. I went to eight different popular New York City restaurants to find out if they were truly worth the money, the wait, and the craze.

1. Big Gay Ice Cream

The Big Gay Ice Cream shop has two locations in the city, one in Greenwich Village and the other in the East Village. I went to the one in Greenwich Village, a small shop but still pretty cute. The line was decently sized but we only waited about five or ten minutes before ordering. I ordered the Salty Pimp, which is a pre-made flavor (you can make your own, too), and it was both inexpensive and actually pretty good! I can't say that this ice cream blew me out of the water, it pretty much tasted like a soft serve from 31 Flavors, but it's a fun store and with such an aesthetically pleasing look, I can see why it became so Instagram famous.

Would I go back? I've already been back!

2. Dominique Ansel Bakery

I'd been dying to go to Dominique Ansel ever since I saw the picture of their cookie shots. It's exactly what you think it is — a cookie in the shape of a shot glass, filled to the brim with milk. Yum, right? Wrong. So, after waiting in a forty minute long line, I order the cookie shot and the frozen s'mores (another one of their signature dishes, a lightly torched marshmallow with ice cream inside) which totaled to over 11 dollars. The s'more itself was over seven dollars, which personally I find wildly overpriced. Anyway, the cookie shot looks like heaven but tastes like, I don't know, a store-bought cookie that's gone soggy due to the milk inside it? It wasn't even warm, a total let-down. It may have made for a good picture, but certainly wasn't worth the wait nor the price.

Would I go back? No way.

3. Pokeworks

I'm sure everyone has heard about one of the biggest food-trends to hit NYC: the sushi burrito. When this video hit Facebook, Pokeworks became something of a sensation. Since sushi is one of my favorite foods, my friend and I made the trek up to 37th street and waited in line for two hours for the social media-famous sushi burrito. Okay, I'm going to be honest, I'm not really sure what I expected. It's exactly what it sounds like, a sushi in burrito form. And when you say it like that it sounds pretty cool. But when you actually get it, when you're holding the sushi burrito in your hands, you realize something. It's literally a hand roll. And then another thing hits you, you just paid 15 dollars for a hand roll. It wasn't bad or anything, it was decent poke, but if i'm going to be paying 15 bucks for a hand roll, it'd better be Nobu quality.

Would I go back? Probably not, but trying it once was fun.

4. Artichoke Basille's Pizza

I remember seeing a photo of the pizza from Artichoke on New_Fork_City and thinking that I just had to go there. As a side mission from trying all the famous NYC restaurants, I also was on the hunt for the best New York pizza. I would definitely rank Artichoke Basille in my top fivr. For 15 dollars, I got the artichoke pizza wedge. I wasn't confident it would be enough, but it was more than that. It ended up being enough for dinner and for my favorite kind of breakfast, cold pizza! The sauce was incredible and each bite was just as flavorful as the next. It was absolutely worth 15 dollars, and I'd go again without hesitation or a second thought.

Would I go back? Absolutely I would.

5. Boulton & Watt

When I saw the picture of a big cookie in an iron skillet with a jar of milk on the side, I almost thought it was too good to be true. I called up and made reservations at the restaurant right away, slightly scared it was going to be another Dominique Ansel disaster where they serve me a cold cookie and slightly warm milk. We went for dinner and I had the mac 'n cheese, a small dish so that I could save room for dessert. For dessert, we got the cookie in the skillet and brownie batter in a jar. The brownie batter was good, but the cookie was amazing. It was fluffy and fresh and tasted almost like a cake. On top of the great food, the atmosphere of the restaurant was really fun. It's a bit of a rustic-looking restaurant that serves their water in mason jars and has a big community table in the middle. I loved every bit of it.

Would I go back? A hundred times.

6. Momofuku Milk Bar

Momofuku Milk Bar is a place I'd definitely suggest trying at least once. I went because I'd heard good things about their cereal milk ice cream, but didn't know exactly what that entailed. Well, I'll tell you. It's literally cereal milk in ice cream form. They somehow managed to replicate the exact taste of your milk after you've finished all your cereal and make it into a delicious summer treat. Personally, the flavor was a bit much for me and I couldn't finish the whole thing, but I really liked it! I also bought the birthday cake truffles, which tasted like Pillsbury funfetti cake! It's definitely a hit or miss place depending on your personal preference.

Would I go back? Maybe, but I'm not in a rush to go again.

7. Mac Bar

I hadn't heard of Mac Bar until my friend saw it on Instagram, but as soon as I saw a picture I knew I wanted to go. They serve the mac and cheese in a dish that is shaped like a large elbow-noodle which makes it fun by default. Plus, their entire menu is variations of mac and cheese, what's not to love? I got the small Mayan Chipotle Mac, which was seven dollars and came with plenty of food. It was the perfect amount of spicy and savory.

Would I go back? Definitely!

8. Cafeteria

All my friends had raved to me about the Cafeteria restaurant, so I figured I'd finally go and try it. It's pretty hard to decide whether or not I liked it, though. I definitely think part of the appeal for this place is the aesthetic of it all. The bathrooms have neon lights that read "you are here" which everyone seems to post on Instagram when they go. The staff all seem to be edgy young adults with just the right amount of attitude to seem funny, and it's always crowded with people. We started off our dinner with the mac and cheese spring rolls which, honestly, were to die for. If you haven't noticed, I'm a sucker for all things mac and cheese. For my entree, I ordered the quinoa burger. I wasn't necessarily disappointed, but the burger fell apart on me and was really difficult to eat. It was a bit bland and lacked seasoning, and just wasn't the best quinoa burger overall.

Would I go back? I probably would go back and try something different.