Nursing Is A Lifestyle Not A Career Choice

Nursing Is Not Just A Career Choice At A Job Fair

729
Free Stock Photos

When on Facebook or Instagram, it seems like you see more people attending nursing school. When I see people putting in hard work to become a part of such a demanding field, it is indeed inspiring, and it warms my heart. However, some people do work hard through nursing school for the wrong reasons.

Whether you are with a loved one in a hospital or medical facility or you're a nurse yourself working there, I am certain you have seen people there that don't value their job as much as they should. When interacting with patients and their families every day as their nurse you have an opportunity to make a serious impact on their lives. With that knowledge, you have a choice on whether that impact is a good one or a bad one.

The series of actions that contribute to a bad impact are ones that maybe you as the nurse don't notice but the family and patient notice instantly. Being short and not answering their questions in full, not giving them the time of day and rushing through, and even being rude are all series of actions that can lead to a bad impact. Being a nurse myself, I have worked in multiple facilities and worked with various nurses. The sad part is there is almost always that one nurse who doesn't value their job at all and who is a nurse just because it pays well.

It is a horrible thought, but its a real thing in the medical field. With patients constantly counting on you to do your job well and to sometimes even keep them alive and calm it can be extremely stressful. In a long-term medical facility, sometimes you are the patients family because their family doesn't come to visit.

How you work and present yourself and talk to the patients and their families is very important. If you have a good impact on a patient or even their families, they will never forget you and will always be grateful to you. Among many rewarding moments in nursing is when you inspire another person to pursue nursing school. Whether they are young or old, it is always heartwarming when someone comes up to you and tells you that you inspired them to go back to school.

Being a nurse is a very demanding job. You are on your feet running around for long hours, you have many patients assigned to you, and some may even be in critical condition, and you cant forget about the mountains of charting to do, but I couldn't imagine doing anything else. At home or work, we never "turn off nursing mode." Nursing becomes an instinct. For example; you are eating out with your friends or significant other, and you see someone across the room have an allergic reaction to something they have eaten. Your first instinct is to run over, introduce yourself, and ask if you can help them. In my opinion, nursing is one of the many careers that is extremely rewarding.

If you're in nursing school right now, I plead with you not to get discouraged. It is very hard, and it may even get harder, but you will make it, and you will pass your boards. Just work hard and study harder and all your hard work will pay off. Being a nurse is a lifestyle, so get your stethoscopes ready and pass those boards.