Nurses Have Been The #1 Trusted Profession For 17+ Years
popular

16 Reasons Nurses Have Been And Will Continue To Be The Most Trusted Profession

Because there is more to nurses than bed baths and medications

18982

For the past 17 consecutive years, nurses have been the most trusted profession in America. How do we know? Gallup does a poll every year to Americans rating different professions on honesty and ethical standards.

Nurses were number one as 84% of Americans rated nurses as high or very high when it comes to honesty and ethical standards. This isn't anything new, either. Gallup says that "With the exception of one year, 2001, when firefighters were on the list after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, nurses have far outpaced all other professions since they were added to the list two decades ago."

So, what made them chose nurses as the most honest and ethical?

media0.giphy.com

They hold the hands of your loved ones

The Today Show

Nurses work 12-hour shifts. They are with your loved one more than anyone else in the hospital. Every family member cannot be with them 24/7, nor is it healthy to be. They encourage caregivers and family members to go home; take a shower, eat a meal, and sleep.

You cannot be there for them if you aren't there and healthy. That is where nurses come in. They'll take the hand for a while. Whether they are just going through a rough patch or taking their last breath, they will be there for comfort, support, and guidance.

They teach and help you understand

Education is a huge part of their jobs. They teach a diabetic how to take insulin. They teach the liver failure patient on what their lab values mean. They teach the importance of your diagnosis. They teach about medications. Nurses teach A LOT.

They should probably have a dual degree in education. They also help you understand things you did not understand. Physicians, for example, may not explain things in terms you understand. Nurses can help clarify and make sure you are comfortable and informed about what is happening.

They help you feel human again

Jill Krause

It is helping you in the shower after a long night. It is giving a bed bath when you just cannot move. It is helping you go to the bathroom after just giving birth. It is offering you a toothbrush. It is talking to you like a human being and not talking down on you.

Nurses and nursing assistants are responsible for making sure you are as comfortable as you possibly can be. Hospitals are not fun and if you are there, it is possible you are not your best self. That is where they come in.

They provide open and honest communication

Nurses almost always ask open-ended questions. Why? How much information can you get from "yes" or "no"? Nurses are the people who communicate with you on a different level. They are honest, show empathy, and want to help. They open the room up for whatever you want to discuss. It is one of their many positions.

They help bring life into the world

HuffPost

Imagine celebrating life every single day. This is the reality for many Labor and Delivery, Postpartum, NICU, and well-baby nursery nurses. You are not alone. The nurses are the one increasing your pain medications when needed or helping you get through and respect your natural birth plan.

They encourage you every step of childbirth. They'll let you squeeze their hands, put a cold rag on your head, and place your baby on your chest after it's all over. Nurses are the ones who care for you and your whole family.

They are EVERYWHERE

Hospitals, schools, community, clinics, group homes, rehabilitation centers, outpatient centers, offices and your primary office, home health care, pharmacies, senior living centers, and so much more.

Nurses are not just trusted in hospitals. They are everywhere.

They advocate for you

Nurses give you a voice. The patient always comes first in their eyes. When they feel something is wrong, they WILL advocate for you. They are the people you want on your team.

They help you make informed decisions and translate things you may not understand. They will make sure you have all the tools you need, they ensure your safety, they educate you, and they connect you to resources you may need.

In fact, they are your biggest cheerleaders! They want you to get better and be your best possible self. Many times, nurses develop relationships with patients who have around for a while. Relationships are professional, yet they also become your biggest fans.

They are empathetic 

Nurses are special. They find out early on in nursing school whether they have the skills to be a nurse. The one's that make it are usually the empathic ones. They are able to put themselves your shoes, which is a huge reason why nurses give the care they do.

They help you cope, patient or not

HuffPost

Nurses always have "two" patients: the actual patient and the family. It comes with the job! They do not just educate the patient; they educate the family, too. They also help you cope. Losing a loved one is never easy.

Although you may not be their patient, they'll still hold your hand, guide you, support you, and give you the resources you need to get through tough times.

They see you at your worst 

This is a positive thing. When you're at your worst, you need the most help. Nurses are always the first on the scene to care for you in all aspects; big or small.

They are active outside of their workplace

Zach Vessels

Nurses (and nursing students) do a lot of community work. They see the bigger picture of why a patient may not take their medications or why they might not understand something. They are always out trying to help the community with screenings and education.

They practice and heal holistically 

Nurses practice holistically, meaning the focus on healing the whole person. According to American Nursing Today, it takes a "mind-body-spirit-emotion-environment" approach to the practice of traditional nursing. Holistic nursing is based on a philosophy of living and being that is grounded in caring, relationship, and interconnectedness.

A holistic nurse recognizes and integrates the principles and modalities of holistic healing into daily life and clinical practice. Holistic nursing encourages nurses to integrate self-care, self-responsibility, spirituality, and reflection in their lives."

Yes, they take into consideration everything, not just the physical body.

They don't judge

Okay honestly, they’ve seen it all.

They are always learning and bettering themselves

Temple University Hospital learning they achieved Magnet status

Temple Health Instagram

First, nursing school is DIFFICULT. Students have 12-hour clinicals, countless care guides, and a heavy course load. It is one most difficult majors. Yet, their pain is your gain! You want your nurse to be the best.

They hold your life in their hands! Along with making it through school, they are always learning on the unit, keeping up to date on evidence-based research, complete CE's (continuing education), and have countless certifications.

They listen

They don't listen to answer, they listen to listen. They'll listen to your worries, your stories, and anything you want to share. They have your back.

They encourage bonding and support

Josh Appel

Studies have shown that visitors and having support have an impact on patient outcomes! This included rapid recovery, boosting moral, and reduce anxiety and delirium. It also helps if you are there. You'll be better equipped to care for your loved one.