The Numinous Power of Live Music

The Numinous Power of Live Music

God is at church. God is at concerts. God is everywhere.

11
The Numinous Power of Live Music

Music has always been a place of refuge for me, and most of the world. The neurotransmitters that are released when you hear your favorite band's new album are the same that are released when you're in love. Love is a powerful thing, so is music. Music can make you feel so happy and so full of hope, even if you're in a room alone. It only makes sense to want to hear your favorite songs live, in a room full of other people who love the songs just as much as you do.

I'm reading a book for my english class, "Velvet Elvis" by Rob Bell. He makes a lot of good points, but in one part he says something that I thought I was alone in feeling: he feels God at concerts. He was at a U2 concert when he was 16, and he felt he "was going to spontaneously combust with joy." I believe it, because I've felt it.

The word this feeling brings to mind is numinous. Numinous is an adjective meaning that something has a strong spiritual quality. In other words, you're in the presence of something greater than yourself.

I think God is everywhere, even if those places aren't necessarily "Christian".

I went to see The 1975 a few months ago, one of the songs off their latest album is called "If I Believe You". Matty Healy sings with such conviction about his inner struggles with faith. I was in a room full of people from all different walks of life, but the catharsis in the room was so tangible. Because this was a song everyone could relate to. We've all wondered, we've all questioned this "God-shaped hole" in ourselves.

God has got to be in a place where so many people are gathered for something so pure and meaningful.

I stand in awe of God regularly when I'm hiking, or looking at the stars. But rarely do I feel like the universe is more at peace, more truly good than when I am standing in a hot and dark room with thousands of strangers all coming together for something we love.

It is good when you feel God at church. It is best when you feel God in the world.