Numbers That Don't Define You

Numbers That Don't Define You

Figures That We Let Ruin Our Morale

27
Numbers That Don't Define You
Craft Ideas

The society that we live in has sculptured us into a mentality that, somehow, we are what we have or what we seem. While our skills, actions, and personalities should be the defining factors of our beings, a few numbers get in the way and make us feel insufficient or incapable of achieving greatness. I'm here to tell you that you are SO much more than what these numbers show, and you are capable of accomplishing anything despite what these numbers reveal.

Money.

The amount of money in your wallet and the paycheck you receive each week does not reflect you. Some of our most valued occupations (i.e. teachers, firefighters, and police officers) work diligently and passionately for their communities. How are they rewarded? With highly underpaid salaries. Some of the smartest, most qualified citizens are unemployed and struggling to feed their families. Rather than letting money define you, let your work-ethic and ability speak for you.

Weight.

In today's society, this is how our beauty is determined. We are expected to be tan, thin, and light as a feather. Whether you are 5'10'' and 120 lbs. or 5'2'' and 250 lbs., you're perfect. If you are happy in your skin, let the comments of the critics roll of your back because they mean nothing! Do not let your skinny friends or role models in life determine your content in your appearance. If you decide to workout and lose a few inches, let that decision be for you and ONLY you. Whatever you decide, stop letting the number on the scale determine your self-perception in a negative way. Darling, you're beautiful!

GPA.

Whether you're a high school student or recently graduated college student, your future is riding on your GPA. High school students are accepted into colleges and given scholarships based on this average of grades received throughout their high school careers. If a straight-A student encounters a difficult course or unqualified teacher, his/her history of a perfect GPA is ruined. This can be said for a college student as well; however, if a college student collects a GPA which includes one or two bad semesters, his/her whole career is on the line. GPA/grades/test scores cannot determine the level of intelligence that one obtains. They just don't.

Number of Mistakes.

Good people make mistakes. They mess up, let others down, and let themselves down. Some mistakes are unforgivable, but all mistakes are lessons. Do not let the number of mistakes you make, though they may be numerous, determine your label as a "good" or "bad" guy. Mistakes are meant to be made.Without making mistakes, you don't learn; if you don't learn, you don't grow. Do not ever let anyone tell you that you're a "screw-up" or incompetent because of your mistakes. You are NOT your mistakes. You are the lessons you've learned and the outcome of your mistakes.

Number of Likes.

In a world that revolves around social media, we obsess over our photos and statuses being recognized and published for everyone to see. Why does our confidence have to come from what others think of our selfies and posts? Even so, likes do not mean you're beautiful or agreed with. Likes are likes. They are hearts and thumbs up that are meaningless buttons. Don't let a petty, highly insignificant number effect the amount of self confidence you obtain.

Numbers are numbers. They are metaphors, figures of speech. A number on a scale, a test score, and a silly blooper shouldn't effect your perception of yourself or the way others perceive you. Of course, you can't control the judgement others give you. But the sooner you stop letting these numbers effect your self confidence, the sooner others will see you aren't bothered by their opinions of you. Be confident in yourself and let these numbers be what they are: just numbers.